QUESTION - What do you think of this breed?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfuerste

Reaction score
What are your opinions on the Lionhead breed?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNkch_13J8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNkch_13J8[/ame]

Video related

They're very cute, but I'm into bigger, less cylindrical and definitely low maintenance grooming rabbits. Lionheads are very popular though I read.

Ditto that. They're cute, but they have a long way to go before they breed true. And, personally, they weigh about 12 pounds less than I'd like them to. LOL

when they come out with a true giant DM lionhead i will say i LOVE the breed lol, otherwise their in the small jumpy bunny category but are hit and miss with personality. i find myself admiring some on the forum, though and wishing i could come across one every now and then

mine's so full of attitude and spunk - I love her to pieces! she's too smart for my own good, too.

Haha, yeah I agree with what most of you are saying. I personally think some of them can be very cute, whilst others are pretty nappy and awkward looking. xD All of the ones I have owned have been very spunky and the biggest sweethearts, however!

I love my little lion even though she's more mullet than mane. She's such a little prim, proper lady (don't listen to what she says in the bunny chat!) with a curious streak a mile wide. We're still bonding so I mourn the fact I haven't gotten these rabbit cuddles everyone talks about yet but she already comes when I call, literally walks all over me and spends the nights that she can prowling around on my bed while I'm sleeping. I'm glad I ended up with a sparsely haired one though. She's easy to groom this way and I think a full blown lion mane and skirt would be a bit much for a first time bunny owner. ESPECIALLY after seeing that small guinea pig that got pulled out of Fraggles mouth earlier. She's got that rufflish face though and that's what I fell in love with about her in the first place. Smaller rabbit works for me too as a single girl in an apartment and she's just the right size for my arms. The bunnies in your vid are so dangerously adorable. Got to tell myself I don't need another baby bun. If I did, I'd probably go with a sparse lion again if I could. I'm in love with that face.

I think mine's adorable (of course, I'm totally biased, lol)! I'm kinda sad her mane and skirt aren't growing back in now that she's molted her baby coat, though. I mean, she still has a mane, but it's nothing like what it was before.

DSCF09022.jpg

DSCF08662.jpg

DSCF01882.jpg

DSCF02072.jpg

Nala is so cute! I have mixed feelings about Lionheads. I like a few of them, but thats about it.
I saw a few people say if there were Giant Lionheads. NOW, that I would LOVE. I have a small bunny but I still love giant breeds. Could you imagine, a Flemmie sized Lionhead?! That would be awesome! Someone should get started on that.

I saw what looked like a lionhead (had a mane, anyway, I didn't even know lionheads existed until like 5 mins before I saw this one but I assume that's what it was) at the breeders, one of her does, that was freaking HUGE. it made me question what she was telling me about lionheads growing to 3-4 lbs. this rabbit looked 3-4x the size that Nala looks now and there is NO WAY it weighed just a few pounds. if I'm remembering what little I've read about bunny genetics correctly, lionhead has dwarf in it... so maybe it's possible for them to come up missing the dwarf gene, the same way hollands can? all I know is this thing had a mane and it was at LEAST as big as my kitty... and my kitty was a big (and chubby) girl! it wasn't a particularly attractive rabbit - I remember *really* hoping the teeny little fuzzball in my hands wasn't going to end up looking like that thing, lol.

I'm okay with them but agree with Julie and Wendy. The inconsistency and disagreement in the breed is a huge turn off. I hear lionhead breeders are super nice though! lol yep jennifer they do have the dwarf gene. I do not know the breed standard but usually holland false dwarfs get 3-4 lbs bigger than the dwarf ones.

I'm undecided on lionheads. I know they're a favorite among pet owners but as a breed, I agree that the breeders can't seem to get uniformity. I will say, though, that I absolutely LOVE the last picture of her...she is adorable!

I love lionheads! Some can look a little... different, but i think they are a very unique breed with great personalities!

Jennifer, it´s so long since we´ve since pics of her, I´d forgotten how lovely she is and that last picture is gorgeous. I like some but not all but I am partial to small rabbits but love the giants as well. Can´t imagine what a giant lionhead would look like, the mind boggles :nerves1

I love my lionhead boys!! they're so gentle and sweet!! they're double maned and need grooming every other day or they get matted!! it's worth it if you have the time!!!

Latest posts

Back