Question on bunny pooping less/still eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleybelow

Reaction score
Hello, sorry I only post when I am having a problem! My rabbit Sugar (about 9 months old) is moulting right now. I am a little concerned because she is pooping less. There have been a few "string of pearl" type poops. (Which is sort of good because she is passing thehair, right?) I have not had her very long, so I have not gone through a moult to see what is normal for her. She has short hair. Sorry for the gory detail, but she pooped a decent amount about half an hour ago.

She is still eating normally. She eats Timothy hay and devours her parsley. She is also active (and played with her toy ball for the first time today :)). She is drinking herwater (I added a little apple and pineapple juice to it). Iam not going to give her any pellets or greens for maybe 24 hours to encourage her to eat her hay. I bought some Oxbow Papaya/Pineapple tablets for her yesterday.

I can take her to the vet, but I am not sure if that would make things worse by stressing her out. Can someone tell me what they would do in my place?

I had the same problem around Thanksgiving. I would hold off the vet. Just give her maybe a tablet or two a day and brush her multiple times in the day. Take your hand and run it underwater and shake it off until it's just a tiny bit moist and pet her whole body from nose to tail a few times. Do this until you don't see anymore fur or she starts not to cooperate. Keep her eating hay to pass the blockage if one forms.

Just brush her multiple times during the day, keep feeding her hay, feed her the papaya treats (Do they say enzyme on them?) and you shouldn't come face with a block or anything to cause trouble to her GI tract.

I would not take her to the vet yet, as she's still eating, active, and pooping some.

This is what I would do (and have done before)

- If you are using a water bottle, give a bowl to to encourage her to drink more, and don't add very much juice (just barely enough to flavor it) because the sugars can be bad.
- Give her lots and lots of exercise to help keep her intestines moving.
- If she's shedding a lot, brush her to get rid of excess hair.
- No need to take away all the pellets to get her to eat more hay, just reduce them.
- Feed a little canned pumpkin. If your rabbit isn't used to it, start with very small amounts and don't force it if they don't like it. Mine beg for it like a treat and get it fairly often.

Keep an eye on her and her litterbox. If she starts acting uncomfortable she may have gas, which can be fixed with baby gas drops (simethicone) and a very gentle tummy massage. If she doesn't eat or poop for 12 hours, call the vet.

Latest posts

Back