Question about selling.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
If a person wants to buy two rabbits from you, same litter but opposite sex, would you make them sign a contract saying they will have the rabbits altered? So that they don't end up with babies from litter mates?? I have someone wanting bunnies and have her info about having two rabbits and bonding etc. told her it would be best to have rabbits altered in order to have them together. She still wants two. What would you do? I don't have a problem selling her two, as she is careful about the bonding.

She needs to be prepared to house them separately for the next few months at least. By the time rabbits are ready to be sold, they should be separate by sex. Since there are no outward signs that a female is ready to breed, it is very possible and common for a doe to have a litter at a young age. Breeding that young should not happen and many people are simply unprepared to deal with litters and don't want to deal with separate rabbits.

To be honest, I would not sell 2 opposite sex babies to the same person unless I knew they were capable of keeping them separate until they can be spayed or neutered.

Thank you. I have already provided her with that info. Basically what you said. Just in different words. I am Leary about selling opposite sex rabbits to just anyone.

In my opinion, if someone is looking to buy two rabbits of different genders they're wanting to breed them. I personally wouldn't sell to them, but that's just my opinion :)

I agree!! That's why I was curious as to what others did. If they required them to be fixed first. I have no problem with someone else wanting to breed, but as long as the aren't litter mates or siblings. And as long as they research lots!!

The thing about getting the spayed or neutered is that it can't really be done until they are about 4-6 months (depending on the vet and the rabbit). This means there is a gap between when they can breed and when they can get spayed or neutered, so that is where breeding becomes an issue. It is also expensive which most people don't realize, getting a buck and doe done can easily be $500 or more. Even getting one now and getting it fixed when it is old enough, then getting another and getting it done can be a pain and there is a lot of waiting before you get a bonded pair (2-4 months before they can be done and another month or so after to heal, and again for the 2nd rabbit, then time to bond).

How would you follow up and enforce the contract if the rabbits aren't altered? I would just sell one if you are worried about them breeding the rabbits or have them altered yourself to ensure it is done. Unfortunately, if you want to dictate what someone can do with the rabbit(s) they purchase, I certainly wouldn't sell at all. People all claim to have good intent, but many don't follow through with proper care of the animals. That's why we stopped selling pet rabbits.

Be aware that though they might just get one from you, they will probably go else where and get the opposite sex, if breeding them is their ultimate idea.

Could you ask them if that is their plan and point them in the direction of another breeder of your breed so they could get an un-related buck/doe? And maybe even help them along with questions they may have, etc.
Perhaps they are new to breeding and don't know that two littermates shouldn't necessarily be bred together if they are new to it, etc.

I am really not concerned about them breeding. I am for it. And I would be happy to answer any questions or give them Guidance along the way. It's the litter mates that had me concerned. She is going with two females now. I had sent her a bunch of info about how quick rabbits can reproduce. She decided on same sex rabbits. She doesn't want to breed. But also didn't realize it could happen so early a d so much

Latest posts

Back