Question about raising rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlie

Reaction score
How many cages would you recommend getting for each breed of rabbit I raise at a minimun. I know it dosn't really matter but I would like a general idea of how many holes would be good to start out with.

Thanks,
Karlie

I think it depends on how serious you want to be in the show world and how competitive the breed is.

I have approx. 10 holes for my Hollands. TINY rabbitry in comparison to what most people want/need, but I'm getting along just fine and improving very well.

Some people have 50-hole rabbitries and produce nothing of quality.

If you start with good quality and continue with hard culling, you can make it far with any number...whether it's a trio or a small herd. :)

Okay, I wasn't for sure as I've always just had a few of each breed when I bred 4-H rabbits. Mostly I will just be showing in local shows as my transportaion is limited to distance.

Thanks,
Karlie

Keep in mind that you will need more holes than you have breeding rabbits. You should separate the kits form the mother and even by sex if you keep them long enough. If the kits don't sell right away, you may need to give each ones it's own hole as it gets older. Having at least 2 extra holes for each litter you have at once is a good idea. Extra cages can be a good idea to keep on hand just in case.

We currently have 15 holes.
The amount of cages has basically grown since we added rabbits.
When we re-do our rabbitry, we'll have 16 holes in the shed, 5 holes outside, and then 5 extra holes, which makes for a total of 26 holes.

I think having least 6 holes for starting with breeding is good. That way you have one cage for the buck, one for the doe, and then 4 empty cages to seperate the babies reach weaning age.
Emily

Yeah, I was just seeing how many cages (for a very small rabbitry) is recommended to keep breeding animals in.

Thanks,

How many diffrent breeds do you work with.

I have been breeding for about 3years now, just not very competitivley, I'm really just wondering how many breeds is recommended to work with in a 20hole rabbitry?

Okay, thanks. I have English Spots & Mini Rex right now but I am thinking about adding a few holes to do a small project with Velveteen Lops.

I have 24(Well as soon as I get them set up completely) holes and i work mainly with dutch (4 blue, 4 tort, 1 steel, 2 gray), but I also have 3 pair of hollands, and a trio of mini rex, leaving me a couple of open holes for the babies while they sell- Also have a big outdoor cage and two smaller outdoor cages for sale rabbits as they get older and can handle the summer weather.

Latest posts

Back