Question about poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Apollo’s poops are always dark. They’re large is size, and soft, pretty crum. But very dark, still. I’ve made some changes to his diet but it’s been at least two months now. He has unlimited orchard grass hay, no veggies and 1-2tbsp of both science selective adult pellets and marriages cold pressed pellets.

is this normal? Or is there something that I need to do/change?

thanks in advance,
Malaya :)

Also, it’s a little wet, because he made his mess on the floor, as I moved his litter box last night

Attachments

• 22DBC800-AEB3-47BD-835D-82208B04D78B.jpeg
    22DBC800-AEB3-47BD-835D-82208B04D78B.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6
Is the hay a pretty soft leafy hay, as opposed to having very much in the way of hard stalky stems?

I believe so. The website advertised it as “the healthier choice”, so I assumed it was better 🙈

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 5
Don't worry! They look like healthy poops. People obsess too much about the colour. Perhaps the hay was not sundried, lots of things can affect poop colour but as long as the size and volume is normal, you're good.

Don't worry! They look like healthy poops. People obsess too much about the colour. Perhaps the hay was not sundried, lots of things can affect poop colour but as long as the size and volume is normal, you're good.
Ah okay, thank you! xx

Leafier and greener hay can make the poops look a bit darker. In part because of the color and also because it's higher in protein. As long as the poops are a good size and consistency, I agree, I wouldn't worry about it either. It's when the poop is also smaller and darker that it becomes something to try and correct.

Apollo’s poops are always dark. They’re large is size, and soft, pretty crum. But very dark, still. I’ve made some changes to his diet but it’s been at least two months now. He has unlimited orchard grass hay, no veggies and 1-2tbsp of both science selective adult pellets and marriages cold pressed pellets.

is this normal? Or is there something that I need to do/change?

thanks in advance,
Malaya :)

Also, it’s a little wet, because he made his mess on the floor, as I moved his litter box last night

I'd say you shouldn't worry too much as the previous members have responded. You can almost never go wrong with more hay depending on which type you are providing as their general supply, but my last rabbit had way darker poops than my current and was always perfectly healthy (aside from unrelated issues). Rabbit poop can vary in size and color depending on the bun and still be healthy. As long as it is consistent in size/color, not being strung together all the time, and their cecotropes are being consumed, I would not be too concerned. You're a good bun parent for checking. 😁

Latest posts

Back