Question about long term affects...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorkysMom

Reaction score
I am hoping Randy may have some thoughts on this due to his many experiences in treating for various things...but anyone w/ thoughts or experience, please, I'd love to hear your what you have to say.

My Corky had an infection was he was young and ended up w/ 2 surgeries and on baytril forabout 2 1/2months....it obviously took care of things as he just turned 3 on Saturday....

My question is...as he ages are there any known long term affects from having been on the med for so long? The vet didn't know of any, hadn't really seen any..but thought I'd ask here and see what others have experienced...I know normally they aren't on it that long...and thats why I wonder. (and worry)

I know it may seem like an odd question, but I had a dog treated for heartworm as a kid that was fairly young and as she aged she had some extra kidney issues that the vet thought was made worse from that treatment when she was young.

If its matters, he's a Holland Lop, false dwarf, weighs a lil under 5lbs, and just turned 3,is fine, eats like a horse and poops the size of a flemish...(one would think he'd scream when it comes out) I don't notice anything...but like I said above...I worry and if there is something to watch for, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks in advance......

Hi,

There are side effects to nearly all meds. With Baytril, long term use can lead to some joint issues that are similar is scope to metabolic bone disease. I know it sounds like the Baytril was long term....but I doubt you will see much of a problem. Just make sure he gets a good well rounded and nutritious rabbit diet. There is also a supplement called Cosequin that does show promise in helping joint issues. But I wouldn't worry too much....just keep him properly fed and he shouldn't have any long term effects.

Randy

Yeah, and his doses where high, it was cure him or kill him time, thank god the first was what happened. He was on it for right at 2 1/2 months total, and has never been again, he was about 3-4 months old when this happened.

Thanks so much for your thoughts...He gets a good pellet (same as my show stock) and of course the occassional yummy...along w/ unlimited hay, which he seems to think is as good as a treat!

Cosequin <-- is this something gotten thru the vet? Not worried about it yet, but something to keep in mind.

Thanks again!

Yea....we know about the treatments that are the"lesser of the evils". It's literally either do or die sometimes. Run into that a lot with wildlife.

The Cosequin is actually a supplement and not a drug. I think you can get it at health food stores. Many vets carry it if they do any holistic medicine at all. I had a rabbit (Scoots, she had severe deformities) and she got Cosequin. Until the last weeks of her life, she was in the 5-6 pound range and I gave her about 250mg sprinkled on her food.

Randy

Do you think it'd be a good idea to start him on it, or just watch to see if he looks like he's having trouble getting around etc. I know he's only 3, so normally I s/n't see anything like that yet....I just worry about him...ALOT!

Thanks again, its nice to have someone thats seen so much to tap their brain!

I would just keep a watch on him for any possible issues related to mobility....and I really doubt you will see anything. Just make sure he is properly fed and gets to move around as much as possible. We have had rabbits on Baytril for a lot longer than you were doing. The only thing it really did long term was make the bacteria resistant. No other issues. Just went to another antibiotic. I rarely use Baytril now since it is so ineffective especially compared to other drugs.

And don't hesitate to give a shout if you need info. If I don't know the answer....my vets are teaching professors with a major vet school and a teaching hospital. I have access to information.

Randy

Great, I appreciate it more than you can know...I've gone thru alot and learned a ton in the short time I've had them, but sometimes am just not confident in the answer. I also have a new vet (not the one that helped Corky) but she's great too.

If you have a post out there somewhere on alternative's you use for antibiotics, would you mind linking me? I'd love to see it as I know of a few, but am guessing you know of way more!

He runs in his room all day everyday...so I think I'm ok on the activity level as well as the food.

Thanks for the thoughts, definately makes me feel better that its not real likely he'll have issues!

The only way to know precisely what antibiotic to use is to do a culture and sensitivity. Many times vets will start on a broad spectrum antibiotic while waiting for the culture and then switch when they receive lab results. Some are stuck on using Sulfatrim and Baytril because they have always been used and are safe. But they don't work. We now know of many antibiotics we can use. You will see many articles say to not use any antibiotic that ends in "cillin"....not true. I use penicillin all the time. I also use a lot of doxycycline and zithromax. It all depends on precisely what the bacteria is and what it is sensitive to. I can usually tell the bacteria by knowing what usually infects rabbits...and the fact that all bacteria have a different odor and some of them are quite "odorful". But if your vet ever gets in a jam on antibiotics, I would be happy to speak with them regarding some of the more "outside the box" drugs I use here.

Randy

Latest posts

Back