Question about housing non-bonded buns in same room...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Our two female bunsare housed in the same room but in separate pens (with an NIC-panel divider between them).They're not 100% trustworthy together and are only allowed to be together during supervised playtime.

Our male Cali has another (penned off) bedroom to himself.

My husband would like to house all three buns in the same room (each to his/her own separate pen). But here's my concern: Our male tries to leap his 4-ft. pen wall while onlaminate flooring. He'd be on linoleum flooring if moved to the "girls'" room; I fear that he'd find enough traction to make a serious go at jumping the pen and could hurt himself and/or the girls.

Are my concerns valid, or should we consider giving this set-up a try?

Thank you,

Jenk

You could try making a "roof" out of nic panels to put on top of your boy's pen to prevent him from jumping out.

swanlake wrote:
You could try making a "roof" out of nic panels to put on top of your boy's pen to prevent him from jumping out.
That won't work; his pen is composed of both an x-pen and NIC panels. They're not entirely level with one another, which makes a "roof" almost impossible. Plus, it would be too hard to get into/ out of his pen with such a cover over it. I'm not about to crawl inside of a 4-ft. area to feed/water/clean.

elrohwen wrote:
Could you pin a sheet to the top? This would probably discourage him from jumping.

That was another consideration and probably the only one that would work. I suspect, though, that at least my husband would get tired of having to clip/unclip/clip/etc. the sheet each day. I suppose a sheet would need to bea serious contender if we decide to house all three buns inone room.

I guess that another part to my original question is this: Is it risky behaviorwise to house unbonded buns in the same room? I mean, would it be likely for all three to act extra-cranky? Or even for the the girls to become cranky with/less bonded to one another?

Latest posts

Back