Question about holland ears...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
My seven week old Holland lop doe seems to have well...two ears on one side of her head. :p

See? If you can't figure it out, she's the one second from the right...the one with the stupid ears.

She is capable of holding them down for a bit if I place it there, but she won't do it herself((yet)). The bases feel...different, also. Like it's not something she's purposefully doing but something her ears do on their own. I've been trying to train the weird ear to stay down before I noticed the base felt different, and now I'm not so sure it'll work.

I don't think there's anything I can do, but I don't know too much about this stuff so I don't think it could hurt to ask. Like can I maybe train her to keep them down for twenty minutes to get through a show?
I also wanted to know if she'd be disqualified, or how bad a judge might take off for her ear. I'm almost certain it's not a genetic thing, plus it doesn't bother her, so it's not particularly a bother to me. I think it's really cute, like she has a side ponytail!

Looks kinda more like a deformity of her crown to me. ??? Weird.

I mean, the base of her one ear looks like its right in the middle of her head. So I think it will just end up staying like that.

wow, weird. Yeah to me it looks like the one ear's base is right in the middle of her head?

Do you have another pic of her like lelanatty asked.

I don't have any better ones right now and she just went on a super long trip so she's really stressed and hiding so I don't want to take one right now.

But she's been carrying it down since about 30 minutes into the trip. No idea why, I poked it just twice.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but the breeder said she had some that just did that. And one day bloop they fixed it themselves. Apparently it's common. :p

It's most likely genetically influenced rather than injury related. Lop ears above the horizontal are a DQ. It may indeed correct itself, or may be a permanent condition. If this is something common to this breeder's herd, I wouldn't recommend starting a line using a rabbit with such a tight crown.

Well ever since my last post she's had her ((extremely long)) ears kept down, so I dunno what was going on. It's like making a doctor's appointment and then feeling nothing once you get there, I guess!

Pamnock- Her daddy was actually new to the breeder's herd, so we had very little idea what he would throw. I was lucky enough to get his first litter since arriving here((he was a very expensive, top quality rabbit)). The rest of her herd is good, she gets quite a few best of breeds.

Nancy- My two mama's used to both do that before they settled down, it was too cute! Now one litter of babies do it, along with the one ear up, one ear down. I love bunny ears they're so adorable. :)

Latest posts

Back