Question about grapes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
What is a safe amount of grapes to give a rabbit? A friend of mine gave her rabbit a whole food bowl of grapes. I was stunned by this and said something to her and she said she has never had any problems giving them to her rabbit. I thought you could only give them a few....:?

Personally, I only give one or two at a time. An entire bowl of ANYTHING is too much for a bun, just think of how tiny their little tummies are. That's a ton.

Personally I would just give a very few grapes to a rabbit, but what a rabbit can tolerate is often related to what it is accustomed to eating and the digestive system's microflora is used to having og through. So it is possible that if the rabbit is often given a lot of grapes it could tolerate them whilethe same amountmight seriously harm a rabbit unaccustomed to them.

I don't know about you but my vet recommended that we give only one small grape (for each rabbit) a day cuz it has one of the highest sugar content amongst fruits :big wink:

Thats what my vet told me. She gave me a list of things Olivia can have, the serving size, and how much sugar is in it. She told me since olivia is an adult rabbit to stay on the low end of the sugar because it can make her fat/sick if given too much

Diet is a controversial subject, but actually the scientific studies show that sugar is far more dangerous to young rabbits than older ones. But again, it depends on what the rabbit is accustomed to, so if your rabbit gets few high-sugar treats it is best to keep avoiding them. I give one grape to my small rabbits and two to mybigger ones.

audrinasmommy88 wrote:
Thats what my vet told me. She gave me a list of things Olivia can have, the serving size, and how much sugar is in it. She told me since olivia is an adult rabbit to stay on the low end of the sugar because it can make her fat/sick if given too much

Yeah so if they grape's too big you can halve it and eat the other half for yourself hahah :p

Latest posts

Back