Question About Bunny Loneliness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnaboris

Reaction score
My lop is coming up on 12 weeks old and is a single bunny because he is unfixed. He had a checkup recently where I had a very in depth conversation with my vet about having him neutered, and we both decided it would be best to wait until he's around six months old before he undergoes the procedure. My concern now is the amount of time he's going to have spend being a single bunny. I spend the majority of my non-working hours with him, and having the privilege from working from home I'm also able to check in on him during breaks, but a family friend (who's a vet) came to visit to see him and made a remark that he seemed lonely and I haven't been able to shake it. He's free roam, I provide him with a lot of toys, enrichment, and one on one time, but my fear is what she said is true. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to stave off potential bun loneliness until I'm able to get him a companion? Shooting for the beginning of next year as that will give me time to get him fixed and allow him to heal before any bonding process takes place.

Picture of my little light because he's precious 483112C5-4AD6-42D9-8849-0304FE2034DA.jpeg

I wonder what your friend saw (if anything) in particular that made them think your guy is lonely. In your posted photo, your rabbit has his legs stretched out backwards. Only a very relaxed, very content rabbit will do that. It is only done when they feel superbly safe.

(On a side note, he may decide to start chewing on the puppy pad in the litter box. That could be dangerous. There's no need for it in a box. What litter are you using?)

I wonder what your friend saw (if anything) in particular that made them think your guy is lonely. In your posted photo, your rabbit has his legs stretched out backwards. Only a very relaxed, very content rabbit will do that. It is only done when they feel superbly safe.

(On a side note, he may decide to start chewing on the puppy pad in the litter box. That could be dangerous. There's no need for it in a box. What litter are you using?)
I really wish I knew! I was so taken aback by the comment I didn't even respond to it but now it's just bouncing around inside my head and I'm constantly anxious I'm not doing enough for him now. He's only been with me a month so I'm still getting to know him but felt he was content with me so maybe I'll try not to overanalyze her statement.
As for litter, I use CareFresh. I use the pads for extra urine absorption or I end up going through the CareFresh at an alarming rate. I tried kiln dried pine pellets topped with CareFresh and he refused to use the litter box. I keep an eye on him constantly via pet cam if I'm not in the room with him because I understand the risk of using the pad. He hasn't shown any interest in chewing them yet so it's working for us for now.

Maybe try training him. Training rabbits to do tricks is a good way to bond with them.

Latest posts

Back