Question about bunny behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You aren't going to be able to change the bunny's schedule. They are going to be active during their active times and sleep when they want to.

In my experience bitter apple spray, gel etc hasn't been effective on rabbits. Your mileage may vary, but rabbits, as plant eaters eat quite a few things with a bitter taste and it doesn't bother them that much, not the way it does with cats/dogs. I also have not had luck with cayanne or other hot pepper stuff to keep them from chewing.

You could attach some sea grass mats on the inside of her hutch/enclosure for her to chew on or scratch at so she won't chew the bars, or even attach cardboard for the same purpose.

I don't keep bunnies in my bedroom because of the sleep schedule difference and because I've only ever had one rabbit that didn't pee and poop on the bed or destroy the blankets.
Yeah I’m thinking of adding a sea grass mat for her maybe that would help.

Lol I know how you feel, she leaves me presents to for me to clean up probably the same amount to.I normally feed her at 8 am the time her previous owner would feed her. I didn’t want to change up her schedule because she is already used to that and then in the evening at 5pm. Yeah I think she is claiming my bed, she isn’t destructive when it comes to my blankets are even my cords she’s pretty good actually. I noticed she would thump when I’m sleeping too it would be so loud. I’m afraid if I hold off of feeding her she would make even more noise and bother me until I do. I have toys in her pen willow balls willow ring stackable cups and a grass tunnel. She doesn’t bother to care for it only the willow balls sometimes but that’s it. She only plays with it if she’s mad at me or when she feels like it. I would say she’s a bit bossy but sweet at the same time. Should I change her eating schedule?

Your schedule doesn't seem too far off from mine actually. Trixie gets fed around 6am-7am and then again between 5pm-6pm. I would say if you do extend the time, then to do it in increments. So instead of 5pm, feed her at 5:30, then maybe at 6 and see how she does with the change. One thing that I give Trixie when she gets extra energy is a hay cube. She goes absolutely nuts for them and chews on it for quite some time. You can also try to add a dig box to see if she'll go for that. What about doing some training with her in the evening? Learning something new for them can be tiring. How large is her pen btw? Is it an X-pen? Sorry, I'm totally throwing out all the ideas I've done with Trixie :p

Your schedule doesn't seem too far off from mine actually. Trixie gets fed around 6am-7am and then again between 5pm-6pm. I would say if you do extend the time, then to do it in increments. So instead of 5pm, feed her at 5:30, then maybe at 6 and see how she does with the change. One thing that I give Trixie when she gets extra energy is a hay cube. She goes absolutely nuts for them and chews on it for quite some time. You can also try to add a dig box to see if she'll go for that. What about doing some training with her in the evening? Learning something new for them can be tiring. How large is her pen btw? Is it an X-pen? Sorry, I'm totally throwing out all the ideas I've done with Trixie :p
Yes it’s an x pen, it’s the best pets extra large x pen. I accidentally forgot to feed her yesterday at 5 pm and when I look at the time it was 7 pm but she wasn’t grumpy or anything. She actually fell asleep and took a nap for a bit. I did make her a dig box but she just ended up peeing in it. She is majority free roam and when I workout in the morning she runs around in her tunnel and hidey house and does binkies and zoomies. I found a solution for her being noisy at night I put up my flat bed sheets on her pen and she stopped biting the cage .Sometimes I would wake up at 8:30 and feed her and she’s okay with it. I will try the hay cubes :) so far a new trick I taught her is spin and stand and walk while I give her a treat:) I want to teach her basket ball like binithebunny if she’s not too lazy lol and thank you for the ideas! I appreciate it

Last edited:
Awesome, I'm glad you were able to find a solution! If you're able to train her with the basketball, I want to see a video! :p

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to find a solution! If you're able to train her with the basketball, I want to see a video! :p
I definitely will:) also my bunny for some reason when I look at her blanket I put for her to sleep on I saw that their was pee stains and they are orangey brown color is that normal? It didn’t happen before she is still eating normal and drinking and hoping around and everything.

I definitely will:) also my bunny for some reason when I look at her blanket I put for her to sleep on I saw that their was pee stains and they are orangey brown color is that normal? It didn’t happen before she is still eating normal and drinking and hoping around and everything.
that is ok as long as it doesn't continue for more than 4 weeks, she could just be getting stuff out of her system. Iron in water can make the color different so if you are giving her new water or from a different faucet that is probably it. Bunny pee can range from yellow to orangey. here is a link.
https://www.petcoach.co/article/red-urine-in-rabbits/

that is ok as long as it doesn't continue for more than 4 weeks, she could just be getting stuff out of her system. Iron in water can make the color different so if you are giving her new water or from a different faucet that is probably it. Bunny pee can range from yellow to orangey. here is a link.
https://www.petcoach.co/article/red-urine-in-rabbits/
Okay good I was getting worried, and I normally always give her fresh filtered water, I never give her water from the faucet. I know I spoil her lol

Latest posts

Back