Question about bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Maid

Reaction score
I know a bit about bonding and plan to do more research to be fully prepared, but I have a question I havent been able to find yet. What if you have two bunnies that arent spayed or neutered yet since they're still too young and want to bond them. How do you go about doing that? Would you just keep separating them til it's time? I have one bunny that's due soon other bunny waiting few more months. I'd love to hear experience and advice on this type of situation Tysm! I'm also super concerned about getting them fixed when is the right time I've been waiting longer than the vet told me because I've heard things about them dying in surgery from being too weak. The vet that told me to wait about 3 months my bunny was about 2 or 3months but this vet wasnt really experienced with rabbits and I'm switching vets for that reason and the way he handled my bunny. Since that day I've waited about 4 months instead of 3, should I be waiting longer? I'm not sure of her weight because they said they couldn't weigh her even... I'm guessing around 3 pounds and shes a lionhead mix

If you have any unaltered rabbits you should keep them living separately until after they are neutered all of my pairs have had at least one unaltered baby involved at some point and I can honestly say it’s not worth the risk of doing it sooner if avoidable. Our original male/male pair was a failure and we then had two pairs after the boys were neutered each with an unspayed female. Before the girls were spayed there was some difficult behaviour in both pairings but they got through it and are now much more settled together since the girls have been fixed. All of our rabbits were neutered with the rescue we adopted them from and the vets were prepared to do boys at 4 months and girls at 5 months. Our actual bonding was also done with them and our boys had to be 8 weeks after their operation before they would introduce them to another rabbit to allow for healing, hormones to go away and any remaining sperm to die off. Although females are sterile straight away you should still wait to allow for healing and hormones.

If you have any unaltered rabbits you should keep them living separately until after they are neutered all of my pairs have had at least one unaltered baby involved at some point and I can honestly say it’s not worth the risk of doing it sooner if avoidable. Our original male/male pair was a failure and we then had two pairs after the boys were neutered each with an unspayed female. Before the girls were spayed there was some difficult behaviour in both pairings but they got through it and are now much more settled together since the girls have been fixed. All of our rabbits were neutered with the rescue we adopted them from and the vets were prepared to do boys at 4 months and girls at 5 months. Our actual bonding was also done with them and our boys had to be 8 weeks after their operation before they would introduce them to another rabbit to allow for healing, hormones to go away and any remaining sperm to die off. Although females are sterile straight away you should still wait to allow for healing and hormones.

Really helpful tysm for sharing!

Yeah, you should absolutely keep them separated until they are both fixed. I wouldn't take the risk of getting them fixed too early.

Yes I’d just wait. When they are spayed and neutered they’ll also need healing times, preferably by themselves so they are not accidentally hurt or annoyed by the other rabbits. Then you’d wait about 6 weeks or more before trying to bond them. I was also super nervous for mines surgeries but they turned out absolutely fine. Good on you for trusting your gut and finding another vet. Just be sure that your rabbits get pain medicine for at least 4 or more days after (depending on spay or neuter) and that they aren’t picking at their wounds

Latest posts

Back