Question about bonding.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monklover

Reaction score
We have been working with Buddy and Roxie in the bathroom for a long time now. Everytime we put them outside, they don't do as well because it is not neutral. Roxie has recently started humping Buddy a LOT. I will be sitting with them and as soon as I turn away she will start again. :shock:

Buddy doesn't mind but after a while he wants her to get off. I take her off after about 15 seconds but she will start up again in a little bit. Another thing that Roxie does that we are scared about is nipping.

Roxie will be grooming Buddy and then she randomly just nips him. I think it might be accidental sometimes though..... but she does it a lot. I think she is trying to get him to groom her. Buddy doesn't mind to bad... normally he will just jump in the air, but it doesn't hurt him a lot.

What should we do now? Buddy occasionally licks Roxie and then hops away.. ;)

My thought would be move to a bigger neutral territory. I've never bonded anybun before, but that seems like the next logical step to me. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and help you out :)

You really want to keep the neutral territory smaller then get bigger as they are getting along. You could try carrying them around in a laundry basket. This is actually working well for Spring, who is trying to bond three buns. Or, turn on the dryer and set them on it and they will likey huddle/cuddle together.

Sounds like Roxie is being quite dominant. You could try putting some banana on his head, so she might groom him more. Sounds also like he is good with this for now, if he is grooming and hopping away;).

Keep us posted.

Thanks I am going to try the laundry basket thing with the dryer on. We didn't do bonding tonight because of the little scuffle and I had to go to something for school. Tomorrow we definetly will. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Megan

Just so you know, you can carry them around together in a laundry basket. Not necessarily in a basket on the dryer. You can use the dryer as a separate attempt, while they are out together. Have your sister carry one and you carry one down and plop them on the turned on dryer and see what they do. Both of you pet them at first to give them some comfort, as they will be in a space totally unknown to them.

I tried a bunch of "traditional methods" that supposedly worked for everyone to bond two rabbits but they were all a disaster. First I tried putting them in the bathtub but neither Frannie or Thumper could swim very well so that was it for that. Then I tried the dryer thing, I tell ya Thumper almost choked on one of those fabric softener sheets luckily I stopped the cycle before that could happen, (note to everyone, when using the dryer method turn the temp on cool, not warm) although I must say Frannie and Thumper never felt so soft and snuggly than after that dryer incident. Then after they got along in all the neutral territory in the house someone told me to take them to a "bigger" neutral space. So I took them to Yosemite National Park and let them run around, I haven't seen them since but I tell you what...I am sure they aren't fighting wherever the hell they are.

All kidding aside though, when I bonded Frannie and Thumper, Thumps would want to hump her head constantly. All I did was place my hand on top of Thumpers head to make sure he couldn't mount her at all, this kept them at the same head level. Gradually it would be longer and longer between "humping attempts" until they stopped altogether. It took about a week. Hope that helps.

Buddy and Roxie did wondeful together tonight! :biggrin2: Roxie groomed Buddy a lot and only humped Buddy a couple of times. Buddy pushed her off after awhile. I'm pretty sure I saw Buddy giving Roxie a couple of licks! ...that's rare!

And I didn't see Roxie nip Buddy once tonight!! :D .... or I did... and I forgot....:p

Megan

Latest posts

Back