Q. re: dominance of Tortoise-shell dutches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreasuredFriend

Reaction score
Right off the start, I'm thinking RO members tonyshuman, Haley, and myheart...

Anyone else with tortoise-shell dutches of either gender?

Did you find the bonding process with a companion difficult?

Ultimately the female in our home is chasing the male (both are altered) if he doesn't GROOM HER like she insists he should. 'Tis a shovel contest of which bun can nose under the other the bestest. Persistently. Is the tortoise-shell coloring a stubborn or demanding personality?

Thanks for your tips,

Hi!:wave:

Yes, it was difficult with Tony. We went to two different shelters and had several unsuccessful dates before he met a couple at DCHS he liked. Tony has a dominant personality, and wanted to be in charge all the time. For the nose contest, he had to win, and she had to put up with a lot of mounting! I was lucky that DCHS had a couple of very laid-back ladies who wanted to give love. In particular, Muffin was abandoned and came in to the shelter with a baby who she was then separated from, so she was lonely and wanted to take care of somebun. She was also very afraid to stand up for herself at that point.

However, after a few months, the tables turned. Muffin started being more confident, and even demanded grooming from Tony! Now she is the major humper, and she gets a lot of ear grooming. I think she was just very shy and scared when we first met her, and really wanted a buddy. They bonded, and luckily Tony didn't mind when she "came into herself," her full personality. She still loves to groom him as well.

I think Andy will also need a very laid-back lady, perhaps one that knows how fun it can be to have companions, such as one that has had babies, or was once part of a group of bunny friends. This was important for Muffin, I think. A bunny that has any "bunn-itude" may not work well.

I don't think it's the tort color, per se, but perhaps the breed. I know some dutches are sweeties (Luna), but many are described as naughty and tricksters, full of intellect and humor, but a bit stubborn and troublemakers. That describes Tony to a T. ;)

It could be the breed, but I'm leaning more to it being an individual thing. I'm pretty sure Myheart's Patrick would bond with any rabbit that doesn't hate him. Andy is probably close, so is my black dutch Loki. Loki is an outgoing, silly trickster but he's only of medium dominance.

My buns have always (and still do) the nose-shovel thing, they just don't get upset any more. Oberon used to get mad if he didn't get his way. He grew out of it in time.

Tell that little girl to behave herself, or I'll come and snuggle her as punishment!

My tortoise dutch is VICIOUS with new rabbits. Once she bonds she's incredibly affectionate and does most of the grooming.

Her first companion was an 8yr old grumpy angora. Bonding took several months and there were some bad wounds. We had a female mini lop we were fostering at the same time. The two or three times this lop managed to escape from her cage, we came home to find lop hair EVERYWHERE and once she tore up her ears very badly.

The second bonding was with Wally, our 2 year old New Zealand. The epitome of innocence. Wally was incredibly sweet right off the bat, never challenged our dutch, never was aggressive with her. She outright attacked him even after extremely slow intros through gates, ect. More blood was shed.. Very difficult force/stress bonding. Lots of her starting fights even days after they were together. Now they're best of friends.

I've had holland lops and mini lops in the past.. some chasing, but bondings were cake compared to my dutch. She's evil with new rabbits. She has calmed down more now that I've done a lot of fostering, but I've never seen rabbits REALLY fight until her.. And I've had her since she was 6 weeks old, she was spayed at 5 months. Long before bonding was ever attempted.

DazyDaizee wrote:
My tortoise dutch is VICIOUS with new rabbits. Once she bonds she's incredibly affectionate and does most of the grooming.

Her first companion was an 8yr old grumpy angora. Bonding took several months and there were some bad wounds. We had a female mini lop we were fostering at the same time. The two or three times this lop managed to escape from her cage, we came home to find lop hair EVERYWHERE and once she tore up her ears very badly.

The second bonding was with Wally, our 2 year old New Zealand. The epitome of innocence. Wally was incredibly sweet right off the bat, never challenged our dutch, never was aggressive with her. She outright attacked him even after extremely slow intros through gates, ect. More blood was shed.. Very difficult force/stress bonding. Lots of her starting fights even days after they were together. Now they're best of friends.

I've had holland lops and mini lops in the past.. some chasing, but bondings were cake compared to my dutch. She's evil with new rabbits. She has calmed down more now that I've done a lot of fostering, but I've never seen rabbits REALLY fight until her.. And I've had her since she was 6 weeks old, she was spayed at 5 months. Long before bonding was ever attempted.
^ It's good to get your input DazyDaizee. Thanks to all for lending advice.

Two days, two nights now... living in 1 large exercise-pen space. Karl said last night, they look like twins. In sanctuary homes, changing one larger litter pan is a Plus. Potter dotes on Tiny, Potter does the melting, and TinyTina is the obliging wife. When food is being prepared, watchout!! 'Cause the lil' gal you wanna have a talk with or snuggle, naturestee, wears The dominant chase-'im-down Pants! She's after her man, don't you dare get to the treat or supper bowl before me. women...

:bow

Latest posts

Back