Put the rabbits together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
Galaxy and Orion have been in the same cage for the last 48 hours. I haven't seen any aggression, for the most part there is mutual grooming. The biggest problem I see is that Galaxy keeps humping Orion, and because of this, poor Orion is suffering from hairloss on his back (every time Galaxy humps Orion, he pulls some of Orions fur out). This is the only problem I see so far. This happens no matter if they are in their cage or out. Should I be worried?

Hmm, sorry this post was not answered. Maybe you already got an answer but I thought I'd move it back up anyway. I'd still like to learn from this post myself.

Is there actually a patch where there is no fur or little fur? I would worry that eventually Galaxy would get to the skin and we wouldn't want Orion to be getting hurt.

I personally would find Galaxy still too aggressive to put them together in the same cage. I'd rather it take longer than rush it and have an injured bun on my hands.

I'm hoping someone with more experience can give better insight.

Are they both males?

Firstly when rabbits mate they do tend to get a mouthful of hair to hold on better and yes bits tend to get pulled out but usually after they have mated a couple of times they get put away separately so its not an issue.

This is a dominance thing Galaxy is showing his dominance to Orion, if he is not neutered then get him neutered it should (after a few weeks ) settle down and stop though iIhad one that would still get horny every easter lol.

Thats going to be the only way to stop it. Oh and if he is recently neutered then it can take up to a couple of months for this to settle down.

Keep a close eye on the area that its not getting sore and I find sudacrem (for babies nappy rash very good if its irritated, but don't put a lot on).

Both are males, and both are neutered. Orion was neutered in December, and Galaxy was neutered in March.

Thanks for the replies, but the problem has resolved itself with much work and patience. I checked Orion daily for injuries, and Galaxy's displays of dominance have decreased dramatically in the last two weeks. Orion's fur is starting to grow back too.

Latest posts

Back