Pure or mixed ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koumyou_69

Reaction score
Just found a Kijiji add for a male delmation spotted Rex that the person is using for a stud and says the mating is listed as free, is that a good idea?
I have two female Rex that I am going to be breeding with my male rabbit who is not Rex just wondering if I should use my bun or a Rex stuf so confused

It is probably better to stick to purebred rabbits. If you want to show, then you really need a purebred rabbit to do it (and one that meets the standard). While mix breeding can have purpose, it is generally not recommended as it is limited to what you can do with them and there are a lot of mixed breed rabbits looking for homes.

I would be very careful about using a stud rabbit. You have no idea who he has been bred to and what he could have picked up. He can pass stuff to your does that can lead to problems later on for her and her kits. Since breeders tend to not advertise rabbits for breeding at all (and most don't use outside rabbits at all unless they buy them). Even if a breeder were to use or offer a stud, they would do it more privately as they would tend to know the owner of that rabbit and even know some of the history of it. To be honest, breeders would not need to advertise a stud rabbit as they already have the connections if they need it.

I would recommend that you find and buy and nice buck and compliments your does. Get one that is a bit older so you know what he will be like versus buying a baby and hoping to get what you want. It would be good to not use him right away so that if there are any diseases he can pass on, you know before you breed him.

As a rule, I never, ever breed my does to an outside buck unless I have a longstanding relationship with the breeder and know the buck myself. There's just too much risk involved, for me.

That said, it is ALWAYS better to stick with purebreds than mixes.

Well I am not breeding for show I am breeding for the experience so I know if I would like to do it in the future and a pet store is already interested in the kits

You risk your does getting sick if you breed with someone else's buck....he could have bunny syphillis and you might not know it.

I wouldn't do it.

Since I was told before not to discourage or throw my opinion of mixed rabbits out there... or the fact that since this is a rescue board whyyyy you would send more buns to a petshop.... I'll leave all of those negatives down.

But like Peg mentioned, lots of bun diseases out there. MANY not curable. This would be my biggest issue with just randomly breeding.

No I posted it here and I known people will look down on me for breeding my buns I don't have many friends on here anyway I know this is a rescue forum aw well and but like stated before I would like experience in breeding as I would love to do purebreds in the future this post however was more asking about the Kijiji add and if it would be a good idea or not maybe I should have named it better sorry for that and as for the suggestion about getting another buck I don't currently have the room for 4 adult rabbits and my mom has said no to another adult rabbit as I have already found a place for all the babies she said it was ok to breed but I am not sure about keeping a baby yet

Koumyou_69 wrote:
No I posted it here and I known people will look down on me for breeding my buns I don't have many friends on here anyway I know this is a rescue forum aw well and but like stated before I would like experience in breeding as I would love to do purebreds in the future this post however was more asking about the Kijiji add and if it would be a good idea or not maybe I should have named it better sorry for that and as for the suggestion about getting another buck I don't currently have the room for 4 adult rabbits and my mom has said no to another adult rabbit as I have already found a place for all the babies she said it was ok to breed but I am not sure about keeping a baby yet

To my understanding, this is not a rescue forum or a breeder forum--Rabbits Online is open to everyone. This particular part of the forum ("The Rabbitry and Show Room")is primarily for breeder chat.

I know it might feel like some are looking down on you for breeding your rabbits, but I hope you won't interpret that as such. For the most part, we're just trying to prevent you from making a mistake and giving you solid advice, from years and years (and years and years) of collective experience.

Experiencing an animal birth is a beautiful thing. For me it was when I had just moved out on my own and decided to let my cat get pregnant. It certainly wasn't a responsible move, but I did end up finding homes for the kittens and the story had a happy ending.

It sounds like you've given this some thought and are going about it the right way. It is true that most people will be of the opinion that breeding should be done only between purebreds, and to better the breed standard, so you may get a few responses like that. But if you are sure to find them pet homes and you know that your bunnies don't have any problematic genetic disorders such as malocclusion, the experience can be rewarding.

The only advice I can give is to be wary of the complications that can arise. Be prepared for some of the kits not making it, or your doe having difficulty with the birthing process. Many heartbreaking things can come from breeding, and you should know about them before you proceed. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back