Pup + Vet = Chaos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
It's that time...Pup is due at the vet this month for a checkup. We haven't been since last Oct (he had stomach issues). Every time he has been to the vet he has screamed bc he doesn't like being examined.

(For those fortunate ones who haven't heard a rabbit scream--it's frightening.)

The first time ever he screamed and jerked out of the vet's arms and slammed against the wall and landed on the floor. Pup and fur were everywhere. Same with last year's visit.

Is there anyway to calm him prior or make sure he doesn't act out again? It makes me nervous he'll go into shock and become really frightened. It's also really sad to witness :( Any advice would be appreciated.:cry1:

Is there any particular reason you're taking him to the vet this year? Or is it just for a general check up?
If your rabbit doesn't tolerate going to the vet or traveling well, and there's no reason to go to the vet, I wouldn't be going. Sounds like the trip will create problems if anything.

Is there any particular reason you're taking him to the vet this year? Or is it just for a general check up?
If your rabbit doesn't tolerate going to the vet or traveling well, and there's no reason to go to the vet, I wouldn't be going. Sounds like the trip will create problems if anything.

really? No just a general checkup. I have noticed fur strings in his poop though and would probably ask the vet about that. He has a really thick coat and there is always stray hairs on him.

What is he like at home? Would he allow you or even someone else to handle and examine him at home? Some vets will do house calls, it might cost a bit more but the rabbit is usually calmer and less stressed.
Have you noticed the vet doing anything that might cause him to react? A vet might not do it intentionally, but they might be handling him in a way he doesn't like or isn't comfortable with. If you have has the same vet both times, maybe ask to see a different vet at the clinic or try another clinic if there is a rabbit one near by. Just rabbits just don't like some people, so it can help to find one that does work better for you.
If there is something that he really doesn't like and isn't totally necessary to do, you might ask the vet to skip that part. It's not really worth it to have him freak out if it's not necessary to do.
If he freaks out when being handled or held, ask the vet to avoid doing that. Most rabbits should be able to be examined without having to be held. If he needs to be weighted, you could handle him for that since he knows you. Keeping his feet on the table with good traction (towel) should help him feel more comfortable.

What is he like at home? Would he allow you or even someone else to handle and examine him at home? Some vets will do house calls, it might cost a bit more but the rabbit is usually calmer and less stressed.

Nope. When I try to clip his nails, he fights like heck and kicks. I'm afraid he'll hurt his back he kicks so hard. He's just difficult in general. Both of the vets I went to with him even were surprised by his behavior :(

If you absolutely have to take him to get a check up, call ahead and warn the vet that he will be difficult to handle, so that the vet will know to be extra careful and prepared to restrain the bunny. It might also help to bring along a baggie of his favourite treats/fruit that you can give him intermittently during the checkup to calm him down. I've also heard of throwing a towel or small sheet over the bunny if it starts to panic - this usually stops it going crazy as it becomes more preoccupied with finding a way out.

It sounds like you need to work on getting him used to being handled at home. My buns don't particularly like being held, but I still make a bit of picking them up once every few days so they know I wont hurt them and so that when I do need to pick them up, they're okay with it. Your veterinarian can't realistically be expected to perform a full exam without sedation on an animal that isn't used to being handled.

really? No just a general checkup. I have noticed fur strings in his poop though and would probably ask the vet about that. He has a really thick coat and there is always stray hairs on him.

It sounds like all he needs is papaya enzyme tablets and hay, unless he has stopped eating and drinking.

^Yeah that. Lots of fresh hay, all the time, and the problem should resolve itself. It doesn't sound like a vet visit is necessary for your bun at this point, so it should be safe to spare him the trauma.

My boy bun is really difficult to handle like that, too. I found the best thing I can do is wrap him in a light towel "burrito" style and placate him with Craisins. Just make sure Pup doesn't get overheated if you try that.

If you absolutely have to take him in, you can ask your veterinarian to give him a dose of Midazolam before examining him closely (of course then normal ambulation and mentation will not be able to be ascertained, but injury and severe stress can be avoided, which I think is a reasonable compromise).

My boy bun is really difficult to handle like that, too. I found the best thing I can do is wrap him in a light towel "burrito" style and placate him with Craisins. Just make sure Pup doesn't get overheated if you try that.

He's also a biter, a kicker, and a growler (yes, I have my hands full with him) haha. I've tried the burrito thing...multiple times.

But it seems as if I should not bring him to the vet until there is an actual problem (knock on wood). And spare him the agony

I agree with the idea of a house call vet. That might cause him so much less stress, I would consider that.

Maybe the vet could do the exam on the floor or for the most part with Pup in his carrier or a large box so that if and when he does freak out, he might bolt but will not fall.

In the mean time, is he treat motivated? My rabbit Ripley is ok for handling (tolerates it but doesn't like it) and absolutely loathes nail trim but with patience and going slow has gotten much less afraid. But more than that, I give him lots of treats for nail trims and handling. And did I mention? Patience. Going really slow makes a hug difference.
And make sure everyone who handles the bunny in the office knows he'll react this way so they can take special caution. Maybe they can put a note in his file for the future.

How old is Pup? If you think it's going to stress him out that much and nothing huge is going on, then maybe call the vet, ask about your concern with his strung together poop and also let them know you'd like to wait on the annual for a bit due to Pup's nervousness unless they think it's absolutely necessary right now.

This is normal, the fur strings you see are undigested fur that is passing by, it is good to see that! This is a great guide to the different types of poop a rabbit could have>>> http://imgur.com/a/5N4lD

Poop strung together is not normal. Its a sign too much hair is being ingested. Yes, some is passing, but its a sign that it may also be building up internally and the rabbit could form a blockage.

According to the HRS :
"Increasingly smaller, irregularly shaped droppings or droppings strung together with fur (or carpet) may indicate a problem. Proper grooming by you, especially during a molt, and plenty of fresh hay will help produce optimum digestive tract health, along with appealing to the rabbit's urge to chew. "

I was giving my input based on my knowledge and personal experience. Poop strung together is common with my rabbits( mostly lionheads) and they are 100% healthy. The link to te website I provided showed what irregular poop looked like and what normal poop looks like. Poop strung together with normal spacing, is just fur being passed along. There should be no concern, since the gut is processing everything normally. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back