Pulled tooth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanieBBL

Reaction score
I had a rabbit pull one of his front teeth forward and out of line with his other one yesterday morning.
Will it go back in place on its own? Does it need to be pulled? If so, what pain meds are rabbit safe that I can give him?
Any other advice. Besides vet. We don't have a rabbit savy vet anywhere near us. I really don't want to put him out if I don't have to (and I wont put him down until his quality of life starts declining) as he is only ~4-5 months old.
He can eat pellets and oats just fine and prefers them to mash. Still drinking water. He can eat grass but has a harder time chopping up the harder part of the stem.
He is no longer bleeding at all today. I just didn't take a picture

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_084034753.jpg
    IMG_20200728_084034753.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200728_085805979.jpg
    IMG_20200728_085805979.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 7
He will need to get the teeth fixed otherwise all the front teeth will grow wrong. So he will need to go to a vet and the get it fixed. Chop up the hay to smaller pieces so he can eat them easier.

I don’t know the common pain medication but metacam is usually used during spay as pain relief.

Later it will be important that he eat a lot of hay and have fresh branches to chew on.

I would definitely say he needs a vet, even if it's one who is not very rabbit savvy, to take a look and file the teeth. You should not try any teeth interventions yourself without instruction from a vet, you would risk doing even more damage. This isn't something that I could imagine leading to a rabbit needing to be euthanized, however, if he gets an infection and you won't get him medical intervention things could become very severe.

oh my, yes, please do find a an exotic vet that can treat your bun. The teeth will grow back but not sure if it will grow back correctly like what Hermelin said :(

Maybe go to the nearest vet first, even if s/he isn't exotic, ask for an xray and pain meds (metacam), then when you find an exotic vet, you can share the results with them.

bottom line is you need to get your bun checked by a vet :(

Latest posts

Back