Protect your family!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...

I have mixed feelings about these registries.

Yes, they can help you be aware of people living in your area that maybe sexual offenders. But you should always assume that predatorsare around. The registered
offenders are only theones that have been caught and convicted. There may just as well bethose around your home that haven't yet been charged for their crimes.

But my main objection to the registries is two-fold. First, they don'tsay when the sexual offense was committed. These convictions could beupwards of 30 years old and you're looking at someone who hasn'tre-offended in that entire time.

Second, the names of the convictions are sometimes misleading. Not toput too fine a point on it, but a 19-year old having sex with his16-year old girlfriend would be considered sexual assualt of a minor.

Just recently here in Maine, a man from Nova Scotia came down andvisited the homes of six men on our state's sex offender registry,thanks to their home addresses being listed. He killed two of them. Oneof the men was relatively young, and had been convicted as a sexualoffender because of a situation very similar to the one I mentionedabove: he had an underage girlfriend. He didn't have money for alawyer, or bail, but he was allowed to walk if he agreed to havehis name on the registry. Did he deserve to be listed? Maybe.

But that information led to his murder, because someone thought theywere ridding the world of a child molester. That, in my mind, isunacceptable.

I don't think these criminals should be sheltered in the least. Sexualcrimes are reprehensible. But do we need to know where they live? Andwork?

I don't know.

m.e. wrote:
I don't think these criminalsshould be sheltered in the least. Sexual crimes are reprehensible. Butdo we need to know where they live? And work?

I don't know.

Absolutely! We DEFINITELY need to know. These areour children. We need to protect them from creeps likethis. I'm so glad that they have a publicregistry. I would NOT want to be stuckliving right next door to one of these people. We have theright to know. And they have the right to behumiliated.

If you saw the numbers on how many children are sexually abused andassaulted, I don't think anyone would disagree with this informationbeing publicized. It is absolutely necessary. Noquestion about it.

Actually I do feel bad for young people who get convicted if they had gf/bf two years younger than them.
And in terms of safety it may help or it may not help. You have to be careful anyway.

When I was 17, I dated a guy who was 23. I don't think he should go tojail or be listed as a sex offender. He is the nicest guy.

Perverted people out there.. Makes me so angrywhen they have messages about "Offenders at high risk to re-offend" onthe news. Why the heck are they out of jail then?! I know it's probablysome legal thing, but if they are likely to offend, then can't theyhold them in a rehab centre or something? Makes me angry.Someone is scard for life, and some weird sick freak is out on thestreets.. how fair is that?

Thanks for the heads up Lissa, I would look but I live in Canada, so itdoesn't aply to me (unless there's a sort of website like that aboutCanada?).

I used to know a guy who's an offender now... Heused to be a really nice guy, then suddenly something changed, and hestarted smoking, dropped out of school, and who knows what else. Now,he's homeless and a sex offender. When I first met him, I wouldn't eventhink of him doing such a thing, but all that changed in a matter ofweeks. I just wonder what happened...

Latest posts

Back