Pro's and Con's of Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylerhill

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a young male lionhead, and I am considering getting him neutered. I have had rabbits in the past, but I have never had any of them fixed, so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are to having him neutered? He is the only rabbit I have right now. We do have wild rabbits that live on our property but as far as I know they never go around Einstein's cage. I am wary of taking him to just any vet, because I want to be sure they know what they are doing with a rabbit. If I do get him neutered, I will wait until spring so that he doesn't get so cold while he is recovering, since he lives outside. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

Oh and I have a couple of other health related questions as well. First, should I vaccinate him with anything since the wild rabbits live around here? I wouldn't want him to catch anything from them.

Also, we have juniper trees all over on our property, and when I put him out in his run, it is hard to find a piece of ground that doesn't have juniper berries. I have read that juniper is bad for rabbits, so am I right on trying to avoid the places where the berries are when I let him out?

Last edited:
As far as neutering an outdoor rabbit there isn't many pros other than for health reasons. I don't know if it's the same in rabbits but Non neutered male dogs have an almost guaranteed chance of getting prostate cancer. I breed and show buns so none of my male rabbits are neutered. We recently lost one of our oldest rabbits at 5 years of age. I don't know what exactly he passed away from but he wasn't eating well or gaining weight his last few months of his life despite syringe feedings, free feeding hay, and bloodwork/exams at the vet, and dewormings. Rabbits that live indoors and are neutered I feel have a higher chance of living a longer life than my Chevy did.

In the US there are no vaccines that are required for rabbits to have. There is only one vaccine that I know of that has been tested safe for rabbits but I don't know of any vet that carries it. Rabies or other vaccines performed on rabbits in the UK and elsewhere are not given here.

I also have a male lionhead that lives outside and he isn't neutered. He's been alone for about a year now since in brother passed away and i never really have thought to neuter him. He is not aggressive to anyone and he hasn't ever humped me in anyway like i have heard to happen... If he's alone i think its really your choice, but if you are planning on bonding him later on with another rabbit i suggest you do. Hoped this helped!

Males aren't as prone to developing reproductive cancer like females, so there isn't that as a reason to seriously consider neutering. Usually neutering is a consideration because of unwanted hormonal behaviors. As woahlookitsme mentioned, there aren't as many pros for outdoor rabbits being neutered as behaviors like spraying, humping, and marking aren't such an issue. Unless you are wanting to bond your bun with another rabbit, then you do need to get him neutered. Usually neutering is more of a consideration for indoor rabbits due to unwanted hormonal behavior causing problems. If you do get him neutered, you definitely do need to wait until it is warm again, as one procedure of neutering requires their belly fur be shaved.

No vaccines in the US needed. Not sure about the juniper. I believe I have seen it on some toxic plants lists, but then I thought I also saw it on a 'safe branches for rabbits' list. Probably best to keep your bun away from it if you aren't sure.

Last edited:
con - surgery is always a risk. experienced vet or no.

this past year 2014 .. FOUR people called me crying because they had their rabbit neutered and they died on the table.

is it a high risk? no... but it's a serious risk none the less.

Latest posts

Back