Pros and Cons for spaying rabbits? A debatable question, what's your opinion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm somewhat torn about what to do also. I'm from a small town and the vet
who took care of two of my bun's 8/9 yrs ago stopped doing them. His reasoning
was he didn't like their chances. I read also that bun's who don't get bought at
pet store's go back to breeder, or whomever, and are euthanized. So I thought,
what's better? Come home with me and take the chance with cancer, or whatever
makes them succumb, or go back and be murdered. Sound's harsh, sorry, but thats
what it really takes place. So there ya all go. Just thought I'd toss that into the mix.
I mean, what's really better here? I guess thats up to you.

Right now I have a 9yr. old male Dutch. Sweet little guy. He has some arthritis
and he just lost his love Binky. a beautiful female Dutch on June 23rd. I think,
I say think, because we really don't know, I think he's doing OK. At 1st he became
a little withdrawn. I would to if I just lost my everyday together love. Since then he's ventured outside several times. I mean that seems OK considering he doesn't get around as much with arthritis. He's eating. Those are good sign's are they not?
I'm also on bunspace since Binky died and most say get another bun for Thumper.
There's only one in town and she's a bit bigger and only 8 months old. Not spayed.
I'd hate to bring her home and spend over $130 for spaying plus her cost and not have them get along. AT the same time I'm thinking it might energize Thumper
and give him a new perspective on things. Anyone have thought's on this? Thanks

unojuno wrote:
I was just told today, Aug.2 that the vet that I had two bun's done before, won't
do them anymore because of the what he says "the risk factors"

I wanted to let you know this was a older thread. If you have a question I would start a new thread of your own.

I hang out on a dog forum with a large uk member base. They've completely turned me off early neutering and made me decide that if there were no risk of pregnancy such as with an indoor animal you are not rehoming and no behavioral issues I would not neuter. There are actually plenty of complications that can arise, not as many reproductive problems in unaltered animals as we are led to believe, and some cancers that are actually more common after neutering. I think in the US there are just so many irresponsible owners and so many homeless pets that we've been a bit brain washed in to doing it. However I do entirely agree with shelters neutering and I just neutered a bunny I plan to rehome. Again there are way too many irresponsible owners and way too many people who are cheap and won't pay for neutering later even if it would solve the problems they are having. I see it as more a necessary evil in our society.

Reproductive problems in humans do go unnoticed a lot. Most people have probably had a cyst or benign tumor in their lifetime as well as polyps and other issues. Such things often cause no symptoms or many minor symptoms that aren't put together. They can be missed on an exam and some are even left alone after being found unless they cause symptoms. Often such things are not found or treated until someone has problems getting pregnant or someone gets lucky and their doctor looks in to a possible cause to some minor symptoms like excess acne, oily skin, or thicker facial hair growth in women.

Note- The term neuter applies to both male and female. Spay only applies to females.

I neutered my boys 3 months ago.

They had always gotten along great, but once hitting 'teenage' years - they would not stop fighting for 3 days.

Theyve gotten SLIGHTLY calmer. They still fight pretty often. I say you spay/neuter for health reasons, just dont rely on it helping out behavior-wise....

I found a really good article on this subject recently, here it is.
It talks about why Neutering is recommend, benefits, risks and after surgery care.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=2147

[line]
Copying some of the most important information;

Diseases of the reproductive system can be prevented through spaying or castration. Many of these diseases can be life-threatening.
  • Uterine cancer: Rabbits of certain breeds have a high risk of uterine cancer, with 50-80% of them developing uterine adenocarcinoma after reaching 4 years of age. This is a slow-growing but malignant cancer which can spread to other organs including the lungs and bones.
  • Ovarian disease: Ovarian cancer and cystic ovaries can occur in unspayed females.
  • Mammary disease: Mammary glands can become cystic in unspayed females. Although these swellings are benign, they can be painful. Unspayed females over 2 years of age can develop mammary cancer, often associated with uterine cancer.
  • Endometrial hyperplasia and uterine polyps: As a rabbit ages, the uterus normally undergoes changes. The lining of the uterus may thicken (endometrial hyperplasia) and polyps or cysts may form. This may result in anemia, blood in the urine, and a decrease in activity.
  • Pyometra and endometritis: The uterus of an intact (unspayed) doe may become infected or inflamed. In the case of pyometra, the uterus is actually filled with pus. This can be a life-threatening condition.
  • False pregnancy: As in dogs, rabbits can exhibit false pregnancies. This occurs when the hormone levels "trick" the rabbit's body into believing the rabbit is pregnant. The rabbit will build a nest, become aggressive over territory, and even produce milk. This stressful condition can be eliminated through spaying.
  • Orchitis/epididymitis: The testicles or the epididymis can become infected in male rabbits. This is often a result of injury caused by fighting among male rabbits. The rabbit will generally have a fever, be listless, and not eat.
Many behavior problems in rabbits are related to "sex" hormones. If neutered early, these problems can be prevented. In older rabbits, many of these problems will be controlled or disappear after neutering. It will take several weeks to months post-surgery, however, for the hormone levels to diminish, and changes in behavior observed. Problem behaviors which can be influenced by neutering include:
  • Urine spraying and problems with litter box training: Both male and female rabbits will mark their territory by spraying urine on vertical surfaces. Although a sexual behavior, if it continues for a long period of time it can become a habit which may not be corrected through neutering.
  • Aggression and fighting: Most aggression and fighting is territorial. Both males and females (especially pregnant does) will establish a territory and defend it forcefully from other rabbits. Fighting is very stressful, can result in serious injuries, and the aggression can be extended to humans as well as other rabbits.
  • Chewing: Some have observed that problem chewing behaviors resolve within several weeks or months of neutering.
Neutered rabbits not only make better companions for people, they make better companions for other rabbits as well. Multiple rabbits can often be housed together very happily, if neutered, since there is less fighting over territory and mates.

Above information credit goes to Holly Nash, DVM, MS

Latest posts

Back