Proper Outdoor Housing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bunnies would be so mad if they got moved inside, they love it outside and hate it inside.

I wouldn't use stain because it's oil based, I use water based just because it's about as safe as it gets if you use anything on the hutch.

I was looking around the bunny 101 thread and realized I never added my outdoor housing to this thread, so here you go!:)

Summer hutch + run

thehutch.jpg

large puppy pen style run

78e7cfae.jpg

smaller, enclosed portable run

portablerun.jpg

As you can see my bunnies stuff pretty much takes over our entire garden!:embarrassed::rofl:
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures oftheir winter hutchat the moment, however it is more sturdily built than the summer one,with thicker wood and larger bed areas which are better for the winterbecause they can shelter in them when they are cold. It is also a bitbigger which is better for shorter days when they can't get out as much.

nice hutches:) i would submit one pic of my hutch bu i have plastic on al the sides b/c it has been cold here in new york.

nice hutchs! if i was to photograph mine it would take a while!
10 outdoor hutchs and 5 indoor ones, we did make alot of rabbit runsbut after they got used to the cats and dogs we just bunny proofed thefront and back garden.
i really like them bunny 'playpens' :)

Bunnysrule: I love your setups!

You know, Ive never been a fan of outdoor housing, mostly bc it gets tocold here in winter and most people neglect their bunnies. But you havedone it the right way. They look so well taken care of and happy. Yourbunnies are so very lucky. If it didnt get so cold here I would havesomething like that for sure

I especially love this:

portablerun.jpg

They look so safe and happy. One day when I have a real backyard (ilove in a condo now..) I would love to have something like that!

Wow Bunnys_rule63! I was going to sayyour garden must be HUGE! But if your bunnies take up most of yourgarden (like mine:D) then it must be average sized!

I love your run ideas! They do look very safe. Doyou leave them out all day? Or only when you are watchingthem? My rabbits roam free of my bunny proof garden, but onlywhen I am about. But they havea large run attachedto their hutches that they stay in for most of the day.

This is Peppers hutch and run attached. She spends alot of the day inher run. When it rains she has the sence to go up into herhutch anyway. At night I lock her up in her hutch with a trapdoor. She has got it off a few times :shock:but itsnow safely secured with a nice heavy brick onto:DI put thecover over the hutch at night, and a thinner one in thesummer.

14thfebruary011.jpg

This is Dotties hutch and run attached. Its basically the same story as Peppers!

14thfebruary003.jpg

And just out of interest, this is my guinea pigs hutch andrun. The hutch was bought but my dad made the run.We shut them in the hutch at night also with a cover down. They tend tostay in their hutch when they have eaten all the grass in their run,and when the weather isnt nice.

14thfebruary010.jpg

Thanks everyone!:DAs you can see Rubyand Millie have a lot of stuff, but it each has a different job!Their summer hutch and run is best for the summer when they can havefree access to the run if they want it during the long warm days aslong as somebody is in keeping an eye on them. Their enclosed portablerun is the main winter run, because it has a roof I can put them out init on a morning and as long as myself or a member of my family is inthe house to keep an eye on them they can be out all day. Their puppypen one is for burning of steam.;)I like them to have an houror 2 of supervised play in there a day because it is the biggest sothey have plenty of space for racing about, however because it doesn'thave a roof I have to be out with them at all times to stop any escapeattempts.:rollseyes

I'm very lucky to live in a safe area that doesn't have any foxes oranything around and my garden is very secure so there is no chance ofanyone getting in during the day so my buns are always safe whileoutside.:)

samixXx wrote:
that run is really well made, did u go off plans or make your own?
if u seen the ones i made:?

Thanks, although I can't take the credit! I bought it of a seller onebay who makes runs in different sizes. If I made it my buns would haveprobably escaped and be digging burrows in my neighbors gardens bynow.:shock:;)

Wow some great hutches here! :bunnydance:

I have outdoor bunnies too, they live in a playhouse. I'll try to getsome pictures later my digital camera is still playing up:rollseyes

Anyway, originally, about a third of the playhouse was turned into ahutch for Berri when she lived on her own, it was a good size andworked well for us. (If you sawhow small mostofthehutches people here have, ugh, I hate it)

So when Pebble and Ebony came along, we had decided to keep themseparate from Berri and my dad turned the other side of the playhouseinto a hutch with a second story for those two. After a few weeks werealised they all wanted to be together so we took out the divisionsand now they are all living happily together in a very big area:D

Michaela:brownbunny

i agree hutchs here are tiny,i always bought thebiggest one possibe, but i find some of them very hard to cleanproperly, i have to powerhose them alot.
my bf and dad are both carpenters so they said they would make something big for my rabbit room

You do get some good ones in places like Pets atHome but all the little petshops sell the small ones. My local petshopis one of them, the last time I was in there, there was hutches thatwere literally about 70cm by 40cm, but people don't know any differentand buy them!:mad:

tell me about it, i gave my bfs friend 2 dwarfbabies for his kids, we went in and asked them which hutch was thebest. u should have seen size of it :?
i told him to bring it back i wouldnt keep 1 rabbit in it nevermind 2.

Latest posts

Back