Proper diet for a bunny under 6 months?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopsy.the.mini.lop

Reaction score
I got my first bunny a week ago, he/she is a mini lop. The guy at the pet store didn't know how old he was he said 2 months but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've been giving him unlimited timothy hay 1/4 cup pellets and some kale green leaf lettuce and parsley to eat. My question is if it's ok to give vegetables so young? And what is their poop supposed to look like? His are uniform and hard but they're a very dark brown does that mean his diet is wrong? Should I not give vegetables yet? I also give a bit of alfalfa hay, like a handful. He's very sweet he loves exploring the house and purrs when I scratch behind his ears.20190923_205810.jpeg20191001_092521.jpeg

If he wasn’t getting veggies at the pet store you need to be careful about giving them now. Plenty of hay and pellets would be better for now. He looks to be about 2-3 months old. Alfalfa hay is okay. If his pellets are alfalfa based then you don’t need to give both.

Alfalfa hay/pellets are good for growth up to six months old, but high in calcium so moderation is important because they can develop sludge in their urine. Only give one or the other. Timothy hay and orchard grass are both very good for rabbits, I like to mix the two for my bunnies and they grew up really well on it (neither will even look at pellets anymore). Like majorv said, veggies are a tough topic with bunnies that weren't previously getting any. 1/4 cup every 3 days or so is more than enough for one so young. Romaine lettuce and small doses of parsley as a treat, you know?

Typically, 12 weeks is when to start veggies if you don't know what mom was eating, so I wouldn't add any new veggies or increase the overall quantity of veggies (I see no reason why you can't keep giving the types and quantities that he's already proven he can tolerate - just hold off on adding more). You want to introduce one at a time in small but increasing amounts (over 3-4 days) and monitor droppings for any significant changes in size/consistency/quantity.

These sites should answer most (if not all) of your diet related questions from 'teenage' rabbit through adult:
https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

I got my first bunny a week ago, he/she is a mini lop. The guy at the pet store didn't know how old he was he said 2 months but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've been giving him unlimited timothy hay 1/4 cup pellets and some kale green leaf lettuce and parsley to eat. My question is if it's ok to give vegetables so young? And what is their poop supposed to look like? His are uniform and hard but they're a very dark brown does that mean his diet is wrong? Should I not give vegetables yet? I also give a bit of alfalfa hay, like a handful. He's very sweet he loves exploring the house and purrs when I scratch behind his ears.View attachment 43249View attachment 43250
I have two 2-month old rabbits right now, I suggest feeding Oxbow's young rabbit pellets if you can find them, they are very good for babies :) Maybe try to feed a little more pellets so your bunny can get more of the calcium he needs. It's awesome that you are feeding him veggies, but maybe don't feed heaps of them and slowly introduce them. Your rabbits poop seems normal, they are supposed to be hard but maybe not so dark, it might be because of the veggies but I am not sure. Do you know if your rabbit got fed veggies at the pet store?? The reason why his poop is a little dark might be because he isn't used to veggies.. but im not sure.
Good luck!

Pellets: Pellets are most important in the younger stages of rabbit development because they are highly concentrated in nutrients, helping to ensure proper weight gain.
Hay: Rabbits should have fresh hay available 24 hours a day. Rabbits less than 7 months old may have alfalfa hay, but older rabbits should have grass hays such as timothy or oat hay. Hay is essential to a rabbit's good health.
Water: Fresh water should be available to your pet around the clock, as well. Each day, change the water in the dish
Vegetables and fruits should be added too. But make sure which vegetables and fruits are toxic for them, Because their digestive system is diffrent than others.

Latest posts

Back