Prolapsed rectum in 4 week old rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I know she needs to go to the vet but I can't determine if she needs to go immediately- the internet is saying all sorts of things.

But I'd need to know now because if she needs to go today I need to call into work.

She's a 4 week, four day old Holland Lop. I've never actually seen a prolapsed rectum other than a couple google images but it's definitely not like the other rabbits. Her brother & sister don't have it, but their rectums don't look perfect((not prolapsing but still not as 'perfect' as they should look)).

Call you vet and ask :) They are the most reliable source of advice. I would say probably yes as it may be a indication of something wrong with her digestion and at 4 weeks old they go down hill much quicker.

Is it definitely prolapsed and not just swollen? Sorry I don't know how many baby bunny bottoms you've seen :)

Well, see, I don't really have a vet. I have one I'm planning on going to if I need to for her, but I've never been and don't know how they'll be.

It definitely looks prolapsed. It's bright red and puffy and looks like it's turning inside out. I've only ever seen six or seven baby bums but I've had about 20 rabbits total in my life.

EDIT: Erg, the earliest I could get was 2 pm tomorrow. She's separated from the others so I can monitor her and I gave her a bit of Probios in case it's an intestinal thing...

I'd keep her together or at least where they can interact through mesh - will be stressful to separate at that age :)

Good luck with the vets!

Keep an eye on her fecal output as well. She may have a prolapsed rectum because she's passing watery stool.

Tamsin- I'll move her closer, but I'm trying to monitor her so I need her separated. :/

Tonyshuman- I am, but her stool isn't watery. It's normal, which is really weird. But her urine is dark red and sticky/mushy. She got out and peed three times last night, which is how I know.

That is weird. Is it possible that what you think is urine is actually watery cecal material? Cecal dysbiosis, which is common in young uns, leads to liquid cecals that are described like that sometimes.

Tonyshuman- That's possible, but I've never seen it before so I wouldn't know for sure.

Alright, mostly great news from the vet. ;D

It's not a parasite/infection/wound/etc, they think she was simply born like that((which I believe, because I noticed it was very slightly prolapsed for a while)). I just need to shrink it back in and watch it and if it won't stay we can do surgery when she's much older and ready for it.

I hope it will fix permanently without surgery, because I would feel uncomfortable giving her to anyone less than a highly experienced rabbit owner if it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back