Problems with their behavior...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
I have been having a lot of problems with Erik and Sofie's behavior lately. They have become utterly obsessed with going behind my new sofa and chewing the baseboards, as well as being unfriendly/borderline aggressive....

I know the typical culprit is boredom, but I'm to the point where I have no idea...I rotate their toys regularly and have bought them new ones. They are always fed and the majority of days get 4-5 hours of run-around time. Occasionally they are cooped up for a day but that isn't often. They always have fresh hay and water, and get fed their pellets 3x a week, etc....they get romaine lettuce/bell peppers/broccoli/whatever vegetable is in the fridge. Their diet isn't boring, I buy veggies and herbs just for them.

Eating, drinking, pooping, and activity are fine....but they are obsessed with the new sofa. Well, it isn't new, it's from my parent's house and it has a new slipcover on it, but they've smelled it before when I lived down there.

I'm really at a loss. I have no idea what to do to distract them from the sofa. It's become a contest. They know d*** good and well that they are not supposed to be going behind the sofa and chewing the baseboards. They know it very well, but they won't stop. I *know* that they know, because they're creeping up to it quietly while I'm sitting on it....they aren't stupid, and the yelling of "NO!" isn't doing very much anymore. I pretty much have to shake the (very heavy) sofa to get them from behind it/out of it. And it's constant...I can't sit there without (at the very least) Sofie trying to get behind it.

As a matter of fact, they've been extraordinarily destructive lately, chewing up the side of my ottoman and ripping up 3 corners of carpet in my apartment. They used to nibble on the baseboards occasionally but bitter spray would keep them off.....not so much anymore. They chew through the danged bitter spray.

I'm really at my wit's end right now, nothing I can do seems to stop them from chewing things. I've bought them new toys and rotated out their old ones, they're fed regularly, they have a hidey hole and a cat condo to play in. But they've completely revoked their toys and they're ripping up everything that's mine.

In terms of unfriendliness, Sofie has been worse than Erik but neither of them have come to me for petting. Erik used to hop up on my lap and even snuggle with me sometimes. Sofie used to chill out on the ottoman by my feet. But they have not wanted attention or anything but treats...and to chew on the frelling sofa/baseboards. She has bitten me HARD twice over the last 2-3 weeks.

This is a very big problem. I can't constantly be yelling/chasing them away from the bottom of the sofa. I could deal with them nibbling on the cover, but there are wires behind the sofa that they can get to, and I really don't want a couple of dead bunnies. I taped some of them to the wall, but the outlet is near the floor so there's nothing I can do for that.

This used to never really be a huge problem. I mean, they were bunnies and would sometimes chew on something they weren't supposed to. But never, ever, ever like this.

All of this aggression/anger has come out since I clipped their freaking nails. Really, I think that they're on a revenge path or something. Goodness I'm sorry for allowing you to walk properly, bunnies....

So yeah, I'm completely at a loss. They are ripping everything to shreds, have never done this before (even after nail clippings) and I'm going out of my mind. All I can do is put them in their cage, because I am constantly chasing them off. Yes I realize I'm not supposed to chase them off, but nothing else is stopping them from gnawing on a wire....I'm going crazy and I'm to the point where I want to cry. I know owning rabbits is occasionally difficult but it's never been like this, and I've had them for 4/5 years.

....help?

It sounds to me like they are acting out...
at 4-5 years they should be well out of their hell raising phases.

Bunns can get very stressed from the smallest changes in their environment...the older they get the more "set in their ways" they become. Adding a new sofa...whether or not they have been around it before, moving furniture, a lot of different factors could set them off.

Is there any way to block off the area behind the couch so they can't squeeze their bunny butts back there?

If the couch is a new factor and the behavior started at the same time...it could all be related. You getting upset at the new bunny game...and just when they thought they had trained you! You yell at them....they do what they want anyway...and you get the angry bunny fallout! Nibbling, chewing, and if you are rude enough to yell...no snuggles either! lol Take that!;)

How long has this behavior been happening?
If it hasn't been too long...give it a bit more time for them to re-adjust to their surroundings...
First thing is to remove the bunn game of going behind the couch...if the couch is going to be off limits...make sure it is off limits and they can't get back there no matter what! Then there is no issue with having to chase them out!

For every human action there is an equal, or not so equal, bunn reaction(revenge)!;)

Danielle:)

I think the new sofa/nail clipping for some reason has just set them off badly. Erik is a little sneaker for mischief, Sofie has always had an attitude about listening to me, but they were mostly well-behaved. I really ticked her off when I had to restrain her for her nails. It was difficult and ultimately resulted in having to towel her as a bunny burrito.

I'm going to stick some two-by-fours around the bottom of the couch, I suppose. It's a fold-out sofa/bed and that's why they can get into it. I also think I'm going to make them a drapey diggy box, because they really seem to like digging at the skirt of the new slipcover. Maybe I'm not meeting their needs, and not buying them the toys they want.

It's been happening for about 2-3 weeks, but the sofa was moved up this weekend, and the chewing of carpet and baseboards has increased over the weekend.

Sounds like a good place to start!:biggrin:
We have to adjust just as much as they do...uhm...maybea tiny bit more actually!;)

Danielle:)

Ok so I used a spray bottle on them, as I didn't get home while Lowe's was open to buy any 2x4's. Sofie has definitely been acting out more than Erik. Erik only took a few sprays from the bottle before he went away. Sofie and I are still slightly duking it out but it's better.... she and I have had a thumping contest, a staring contest, and I've had to spray her with the bottle multiple times, but she is mostly leaving it alone now. It may be because I'm *sitting* on the sofa but....ya know.

I also put down a few baskets for them to play in and that seems to have kind of stopped them from going after the sofa, at least largely.

Erik has begun to come up to me for petting purposes so perhaps all is not lost and they will stop acting out. I have two slightly damp bunnies but it's better. The couch is off-limits to chewing and crawling under.

I wrapped the wires so if they chew them, they can still electrocute themselves but...not as easily. My laptop charger is thankfully wrapped in telephone wire, after I went through 4 (Erik, a dog, a hamster, and a gerbil have all ruined a computer wire at some point.)

Probably not going to have time to go to Lowes until Saturday...dangit. I'm totally not enjoying this but at least they aren't trying to kill themselves on wires anymore.

Has any body had any success with those big cardboard houses and stuff? I'm thinking I'm going to order them one. They gnawed up their willow tube already....that I bought...last Saturday. Maybe something bigger will satiate their hungry little bunny powerhouse selves for at least a month.

Latest posts

Back