Problems with bun introductions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerabbits

Reaction score
So I have four buns, FG spayed fem Lucy, young rex cross FG male neutered 2+months ago Waffles, Minilop spayed fem Mopsy, and rex cross FG neutered 2+ months ago adult Milo
So originally I was able to have Lucy, Waffles and Mopsy together and they were okay together. Milo needed a friend so I moved Mopsy to him which he had a problem trying to mount her but he got over that eventually, Milo was happy having her but Mopsy wasn't, just never liked to cuddle or do anything with him. So we moved Mopsy back, Mopsy is happy and no problems there. But now Milo is depressed. I have tried introducing Milo to the group but Waffles immediatley lunges at him and Milo defends himself so it turns into a vicious fight, I don't think they'd stop until one was dead if I didn't step in. Along with that Milo tries to mount Lucy excessively, and Lucy doesn't move away and is just constantly being annoyed by Milo.
We have a lone male hare who we tried with Milo but he just excessively mounted Milo and Milo defended himself and hare would get hurt. We also tried hare with the other three but he excessively mounted everyone. I also now fear that Waffles could turn aggressive on him though it hasn't happened. I moved hare back to his hutch on his own because he was being too irritating.
I want every rabbit to be happy and they are making it difficult haha. Preferably I wanted to have all my rabbits in a massive massive run together where everyone could get away from each other and just co-exist. Which would work but the problem is Waffles who targets Milo, which Milo defends himself. Same with the hare.

First to check, all of these attempts at bonding were done at least 8 weeks post neuter, correct? If not, that could have been your problem as hormones may not have completely faded yet.

When you have two conflicting personalities, there is some chance it could work out, but it seems like those bonds take months and a lot of patient consistent effort. So there's that. There is also trying different combinations. Like Milo with Lucy and Mopsy. Or Waffles and the hare.

I would say the only chance to have all rabbits together, would be to have a very large enclosure with lots of shelves, tunnels, etc where one bun could run to hide if they needed space from another bun. I had a group of 7 who all got along pretty well, but there were the more dominant rabbits that would lunge and nip the subordinate ones once in a while, and they always had somewhere they could run off to get away when the dominant buns were getting all bossy.

First to check, all of these attempts at bonding were done at least 8 weeks post neuter, correct? If not, that could have been your problem as hormones may not have completely faded yet.

When you have two conflicting personalities, there is some chance it could work out, but it seems like those bonds take months and a lot of patient consistent effort. So there's that. There is also trying different combinations. Like Milo with Lucy and Mopsy. Or Waffles and the hare.

I would say the only chance to have all rabbits together, would be to have a very large enclosure with lots of shelves, tunnels, etc where one bun could run to hide if they needed space from another bun. I had a group of 7 who all got along pretty well, but there were the more dominant rabbits that would lunge and nip the subordinate ones once in a while, and they always had somewhere they could run off to get away when the dominant buns were getting all bossy.
I believe they were done 8 weeks after, but I could be wrong.
Thankyou for the advice!

Latest posts

Back