Pristine is FAT!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissa

Reaction score
I weighed her on Sunday and she is 5.5 pounds!! :shock: That is a lot for a Jersey Wooley. Anyone have any advice on how to put this fatty on a diet? :cool:

Lissa wrote:
Anyone have any advice on how to put this fatty on a diet? :cool:
I was able to get Brindle back (or at least closer) to her normal weight by limiting her pellets. I also switched her to a diet with pellets that contain less fat.

Brindle gets 1/2 ounce per pound of normal weight. She should weigh about 4 lbs so I give her 1/4 cup of pellets per day.
AND NO TREATS!! I know....it's hard to look at that little fuzzy face and say "No", but....

tee hee hee. It sounds like mommy can't say no to her baby girl!

We switched up our two to oxbow BB/T, it has less fat and protein. It pretty much stopped the weight gain.

I think we might be feeding to much papaya right now. I think it's really easy for Wesley to get fat because he's so lazy. :disgust:

She is a little over a year old now.

She gets unlimitedtimothy pellets and hay. I know. I know. I need to limit her pellets. But I would feel bad about that. I wouldn't like someone taking my food away so I let her eat whenever she wants. She rarely gets treats now. It used to be once a day I would give her cheerios or fresh veggies, but now I don't give her any because she's fat. LOL Do I really need to pull her pellets away? :(

Oh yeah. She's probably gaining weight because she doesn't get as much exercise as she used to. She used to have free run of the entire bottom part of the house and now she is in a small enclosure.

Lissa wrote:
Do I really need to pull her pellets away? :(
Yes.

I know it's going to be hard. Brindle kept walking over to her empty bowl and it would break my heart.
For a while I split her feedings and gave her half in the morning and half in the afternoon/evening. That seemed to help her cravings.
She has also started eating more hay, and I give her timothy cubes to munch on, too.

But,....yes you need to start to limit her pellets.

I agree with Jim D.

It's REALLY hard, but it's what's best for her. I went through this with Snuggy, but I'm so glad she got the extra weight off. Offer different types of hay to keep her happy. Orchard grass and meadow mix are popular at my house.

Just like in humans, extra weight leads to many medical conditions.

I know. I just don't think I can do that. Is there any other way? :(

Lissa,

I think it is sympathy weight. She wants to be just like mommy:)

They say husbands gain when the wife is pregnant-why not bunnies?;)

elle

elle wrote:
Lissa,

I think it is sympathy weight. She wants to be just like mommy:)

They say husbands gain when the wife is pregnant-why not bunnies?;)

elle
Haha. That's what I told my husband! :laugh:

Be careful to discern between "fat" vs "large". She may have inherited 2 normal genes and may be extra "large", but not necessarily terribly "fat". In other words, a show Jersey Wooly weight of under 3 1/2 pounds may not be realistic.

I've found the best way to put them on a diet is to slowly cut down on feed and to increase hay. The hay will give her something to chew on without adding calories.

The amount of pellets a rabbit should get per day varies with individual metabolism. As a general rule, small rabbits on a maintenance diet should get approx. 1 oz. of feed per every pound of body weight.

Pam

Maybe she isn't overweight. All I know is that her breeder said that anything over 3.5 pounds can't be shown. So she can be 5.5 pounds and still healthy? Do I still need to put her on a diet?

It's possible that she is both large as well as a little overweight. Withoutexamining her, I really can't say.

Pam

Can she clean her behind? Is she bigger body sized than other jersey woolies? Is she FAT or is she just large is my point.

Bo was fat, he's doing better - I limited pellets and treats :)

All of my front of the house bunnies are getting small amounts of food, often, so it's like they're getting treats all the time. (I'm very popular!) But the end amount is a lot less than what they were getting, and it's healthier stuff.

(This is a craisin-free zone).

When Pipp was getting... um... fluffy... (okay, fat as a pot-bellied pig, I was envisioning Pam's'apple with a head')... I had to gradually change to a Timothy pellet (which she didn't like at all) and cut her down on the total amount of pellets. But it worked. I left theOxbow stuff in thereandslowlycut down on the alfalfa pellets, and now she's fine with the Oxbow. (She still won't eat hay, though).

And the treats are stems of carrot tops and other fun veggies she likes.

I do let her stay a bit chunky, though, seeing as she loses so much weight when her molar spurs act up.

She's also confined to my bedroom now, instead of the whole house, so her exercise is curtailed, but she's actually happier and more relaxed with less territory to protect.

sas :)and the fit furries :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I'm going to start giving her food at night. I took her pellets away this morning. :sad:

You left her free range hay?

What I do for Bo is give him 1/8 cup in the morning and 1/8 cup at night or I give him 1/4 cup in the morning and some lettuce at night and a few (like 10) pellets in his dish.

I swear I watch his diet more than my kids or my own! :?

Latest posts

Back