Princess's and Prince's of the Fancy....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you had to pull the baby out....was is breech? I mean, did it come out face first or back end first?

I too am worried when you say she isn't right. You could do serious damage internally to her if you did not pull the baby out correctly. You can't just pull it out at your leisure, you can only pull during a contraction.

Did you palpate her to see if she has anymore? If you palpate her, did you feel her having anymore contractions? Does in labor will start to have contractions when you palpate them.

Hope your doe is doing better and sorry about the baby.

Sharon

Starlight,
our 4-h leader just said to pull gently on the baby which is what we did. We tried to pull when she was having a contraction but she was being held on her back so it is hard to tell if she was having contractions when we pulled or not.

No she didn't have any contractions when we palpated her.
Yes the baby was breech.

Ahem this is a gross question but you mentioned that the baby didn't have a head. If it was breech and you pulled it out and it didn't have a head, I would be concerned that the head was still stuck inside her. That would be bad and I hope that was not the case. If you think there may still be a portion of the baby inside, she needs to see a vet. I'm sure you did the best you could and I'm so sorry you lost the babies.

tonyshuman wrote:
Ahem this is a gross question but you mentioned that the baby didn't have a head. If it was breech and you pulled it out and it didn't have a head, I would be concerned that the head was still stuck inside her. That would be bad and I hope that was not the case. If you think there may still be a portion of the baby inside, she needs to see a vet. I'm sure you did the best you could and I'm so sorry you lost the babies.

I agree completely although that was not was I was thinking of.....good point though. I was thinking of the fact that she could have internal hemmorraging (sp) and have done damage internally. If she doesn't start to act normal in the next 12 hours, I would take her to the vet.

When you have a stuck kit, you can ONLY pull the baby out when the doe is having contractions. When her contractions stop, you stop pulling. If this is not done and the baby is continued to be pulled out, the doe can bleed internally and this can be deadly.

Please keep a very watchful eye on your doe. I hope she starts to eat soon.

Sharon

My 4h leader didn't say anything about pulling when she had a contraction.

I am sure the head isn't stuck in there because than the body would have been very bloody and everything, that was a concern of ours but hopefully that isn't the case, I don't think it is.

We will take her to the vet if she doesn't continue to improve.

ETA: I guess we should have said the baby had a head but it was just deformed. It did have a head but no ears, eyes or mouth.

The baby was deformed. There was no blood on it's front when we pulled it out. No sign of a head that had been intact or anything. I can take pictures of it, that are clearer than the ones we took yesterday....

Emily

my advice is you should take her to the vet just to make sure... she may end up with an infection and if she is still pregnant and can't pass the babies she can die. trust me i know sombody who had a dog die from this..

Well I am at my friends house for the night but my mom has strict instructions to call the us and our 4-h leader if Minnie is still acting funny.
And then she would be taken to the vet.

I wonder if maybe your 4H leader could join the forum? Maybe she could share her knowledge and also learn more here :)

How is Minnie this morning? I thought about her last night when I went to bed, hoping that she was ok. Please let us know when you can.

My 4H leader does know about the site but she wants me to tell the club about it also.

We haven't checked on Minnie yet today but my mom said she was good this morning and was eating her hay and had dranken water.

Flashy wrote:
I wonder if maybe your 4H leader could join the forum? Maybe she could share her knowledge and also learn more here :)

How is Minnie this morning? I thought about her last night when I went to bed, hoping that she was ok. Please let us know when you can.

I know my sister already replied, but my 4-H leader probably wouldn't join the site because she is so busy with her kids, and animals, and 4-H and her job. I will ask her though, but I doubt she will.

Emily

I think you should tell the group about it! I think the kids at least might possibly join. B
So might our leader. :) You never know.
And by the way, I'm in the same 4H group as BlueSky and BSAR. ;)
But, I really hope Minnie gets better, and hopefully nothing too serious is going on.

Karlee

Thanks for answering my question. Sounds like you've done the best you can for her and she just needs time to heal up for now. Good luck!

Alright i'm giving an update.

When we checked Minnie around 3:30-ish, there was another deformed baby in her cage. She had just given birth to it. It was tiny, and I'm not sure if it was breech. It had a head intact, but it's rear was kinda funky looking and it's belly was really big....
She then birthed that babies placenta and as of about 20 minutes ago she was working on giving birth to another one - whom was breech, but she was able to keep push and she was still working on pushing it out when we left her alone.

I think she must've stopped the labour and started it again...we were buggin' her too much the first time. So we're letting her do this alone, and checking on her every 45 min. to an hour. She's not bleeding; she's been eating her hay and drinking water.

We are still watching her in case we think she needs a vet ;)

Emily

First off, id like to say I hope tings work out for you and your rabbit. Luckily a stuck kit is something ive never had too deal with. However, I find the does do better at birthing if you leave them alone as in not even come into the rabbitry, during. Just take a quick peak and leave. I think the deformed kit would have worked its way out in time assisting with the birth is something I would have been very leary of doing. When does are kindling they are hyper sensative to disturbances and enough of either could cause them to have complications or to abandon kits once they are born.

To touch on a kit kindling 24 hours or more apart, that can be due to a doe being impregnated twice. Does have 2 folopian(hope im spelling it right) tubes. When impregnated the fertilized eggs pass through the tubes too her womb, however if bred twice or even 3-4 times while already being impregnated she can also fertelize eggs in the second tube However in some cases those eggs do not pass through the tube and actually get stuck in it thus the kits begin growing in the actual tube, which usually leads to death for both the doe and the kits.Which is why soemtimes breeding more than 24 hours apart can be unwise.

When the kits are kindled from the first pregnacythe kitswho came from the second tube ifthe eggs migrated to thewomb properlymay not be completely ready yet which is why they go a little later.

Ibeleive I heard of kits being born as many as 3-4 days apart.

I'm just getting ready to call the emergency vet up in Olympia. The local vet has an emergency number but they won't pick up their dang phone :( And Dr. Raymond (the vet)is out of town for a week! He's not coming back till Saturday. I just hope Oly Pet Emergency will be able to help us.

I just got back and the one kit from about 4:45 was still in the birth canal. I was able to get him/her out a little. S/he is breech.

Im currently speaking with a Dr.

ETA: Speaking with another doctor, someplace else, at a Small Animal & Exotic vet :) with emergency hours and they know what they're doing.

They're all saying to just pull the kit out....

Emily

Ok I'm on my way out to the rabbitry. Going to try and pull the kit out after I put some mineral oil "down there" like the Dr. said.

I'm taking with me my cell phone, pencil, notebook, phonebook, wash cloth, warm water, mineral oil...wow.

I will let you guys know how it all works out...

Emily

:cry4:

Oh my goodness! Emily, I'm so sorry about Minnie, and the babies. :( I can't believe everything went so wrong.
You guy's aren't having a very good breeding year. I'm terribly sorry.
But on the bright side, at least you reached a vet and are getting some good advice from them.
I hope all goes well!
Keep us updated!

-
Karlee:pray::hug:

Thanks so much, Karlee :)

As of right now, she is eating grass with the apple cider vinegar/water mix and some sugar on it. The sugar is to get her energy up and it's not like a table spoon, about quarter of a teaspoon. There's also some in her water/apple mixture. She has two carrots, fresh pellets, fresh hay, and a clean cage.

Our 4-H leader is on her way; should be here by 7:30.

Will keep you all updated.
Emily

Latest posts

Back