Princess's and Prince's of the Fancy....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Tinysmom.

Yes we are still keeping an eye on her.

I have looked online and it said to breed big breed rabbits like her at 9 or 10 months. We bred her at 9 months so.....

Please continue praying for her.:pray::pray:

8-10 months is proper age to breed english lops, this litter has nothing to do with her age. Like you said it was a big baby, many does loose their first litters due to small numbers. I doubt that is the only one she had in her, give her 2 days then you can know forsure. I have a friend who had a doe have babies 24 hours apart and all alive and I myself have had dead babies born one day and alive ones the next. This one baby stressed her out and the fact you was there really hit the nail on the head so she will probably wait to have the others till she knows you are forsure gone for awhile. Rabbits can start and stop labour, if only people could ;)

Thanks bunnybunbun

I just got back form checking on her and she was still looking like she was having some contractions and all.
there was a little it more blood also.

I felt her stomach and tried to see if there were any more babies but I couldn't feel any more.
I really hope there aren't anymore.

Thanks everyone.

Bunnybunbunb, I'm just curious, but where did I say that the kit was big? I don't recall saying that, but yet you said I did. :? Not trying to be rude or anything ;)

We are going to go check on Minnie in about 15 minutes.

So it could be possible that she still has more in her?
Do you think she'll be fine through the night?

Also, when Lily had her litter, everyone on here said that it was really bad when it took her like 30 min. to have them, but now you all are saying that it could take a few days (or at least 24 hr) for Minnie to have them....I'm confused...

Emily

Emily,

Not to be rude or anything - but from the way you'd talked...I also got the impression that the kit was big. It wasn't that you SAID it...but when it was implied that she only had one - and that it was stuck (which frequently happens with big kits) and that she'd had a big tummy. All of those combined together - gave me the wrong impression also.

Now about the whole thing about it being bad for it to take 30 minutes, etc - let me see if I can clarify things.

When does have babies - especially when it isn't their first litter - their labor frequently goes fairly fast. Even for a first time litter - if the babies are normal size or even a bit small - and mama has a fairly easy time with them - then it will go fast too.

But when a doe is older and her bones have fused...then it will take 30 minutes or longer and be a HARD 30 minutes of labor for her.

I have shared before how I had one doe - Pow Wow - who took several litters to "get it right". We had a miscarriage - and then dead babies in the next litter - and on and on it went. She had one litter where none survived - so since Sundae had like 9 or 10 babies - I put some in with her and the next morning when I went to check on her - she'd had another baby and it was alive and well (mostly well - she overcleaned one back foot).

Was she in pain or labor during those 12-18 hours? I don't think so - I think she just had another kit in the second uterine horn and it came out later. She seemed healthy and strong and she didn't look at all like she had any problems with the delivery.

The first time this happened with me - I was in shock. Summer had four kits in her nest (24 hours old) when I left with Art for lunch...we returned and I checked her nest again - and there were FIVE kits. Mama Summer just looked at me like, "Yeah what? I wanted another one...".

So sometimes - it just happens to take longer for mother nature to get that last kit or kits out. I think its usually that the babies from one uterine horn are born first and the other one is delayed a bit....without mama being in pain.

The pain usually comes from mom having a hard time with the first kits so that she has to struggle with labor and pushing constantly for 30 minutes or so to get the kit(s) out.

I've also had it happen once to a doe that had two successful litters earlier. But her first kit was huge (for her normal sized babies) and then after that - the kits were normal size and they just came very quickly. But she had to get that huge one out first (and it was dead).

I hope I've helped and not confused...now to get back to packing..

Aw, I'm sorry about your bun.

I too had a little born 24 hours apart. Sandy was very distressed during her kindling, and she kindled 4 very quickly, and that was that. The next day when I went to check there were seven, so she had kindled the other 3 at a later date. It's almost like she had two labours. So the time between the labours was painfree, and just like she was heavily pregnant, but she had to go through the kindling process twice, once for each horn. Talk about rough! lol.

Minnie made it through the night without any more babies. So who knows if there are more. She is still acting a bit funny, probably hurts down there.
She ate her hay from last night, drank some water but barely touched her pellets.

My 4-H leader said to not let her have access to pellets until today so she does have pellets now.
My 4-H leader also said to give her watered down Apple Cider vinegar because it helps with delivery and helps the uterine wall. So Minnie has it in her water bottle, mixed in with her pellets and sprinkled on her hay, which is the only way she seems to like it, I also have given her a few teaspoons of it myself which I will continue to do throughout the day to make sure she stays hydrated and all.

Thanks for everyones support! Please keep her in your thoughts.

Amanda

Is she also able to access plain water if she wants it?

If she is still acting funny that may be something to be concerned about. What do you mean by 'a bit funny'? What's different?

No she doesn't have any plain water accesible but I can get her some.

She is not herself, which I know that can come with just having a litter and all, same thing Autumn did.
She also sits sort of funny sometimes and puts her tail up a bit, its hard to explain. I could probably get it on video.

Minnie has plain water as well now and I am uploading a video of her. She was acting normal, just being lazy in the video so you can't really tell she was acting different except for her being lazy, but she is sore and everything so.

I will get the video up as soon as it loads.

ETA: Photobucket isn't working right now so the video will be up later.

Thank you Irish.
I still dont have the video loaded yet. So sometime tonight it will be on.

I checked on Minnie about 10 minutes ago and she was lying down. I tried to get her to drink some plain water and apple cider water but she didn't drink any. She would just sorta hop/binky away.

My sister and I aren't going to be here tonight we are staying the night at Karlees but my mom knows what to do and knows to call us if something happens.

To be honest, I don't think she sounds very good. Is there a vet you can get her checked out with?

There are some savvy vets but they are at least 30 or so minutes away. The vet we usually go to isn't rabbit savvy.

I think she is fine, after Autumn had her babies it took her about two days to get her appetite back and she just mostly sat in the corner also.

Ok. Maybe someone more knowledgable might chime in, but I do really hope she is ok :)

Yeah we aren't leaving until around 4 so we would have had a watch on her for almost 24 hours. My mom can also call my 4-h leader if she is concerned.

So sorry to hear about the baby. I know this litter meant so much to you. You do deserve some luck soon.

Latest posts

Back