Previously Free Fed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogwoodblossoms

Reaction score
I have three rabbit I’ve adopted from previous homes, and they were all free fed. And I think this is a terrible way to feed rabbits. My other three rabbits are on a diet of 1/4 cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and fresh foods. I’m feeding the other three who were free fed the same amount, but they always seem hungry—especially the bucks.
Any suggestions?

How long have they been with you? Are they eating hay really well and how big are they(approx. weight)? Is their body condition good, or are they skinny or overweight?

The bucks have been with me for over a month and the doe two weeks. I’d say their about 3 pounds each or close to it. They all destroy hay and they all seem to be in good condition but may be a little overweight (the doe DID have two litters with her previous owner before I got her)

If they're eating hay really well and always have it to eat, in what way do they seem hungry? Is it a grass hay, and are they eating a pile of hay the size of their body per day, or more than that and how much more? What cut of hay do you feed(soft, mix of soft and stem, or hard stems)? Are these pet rabbits or are they breeding rabbits?

They eat orchard grass (3rd cut I believe), that’s what I have right now. One of the bucks is a breeding buck the other is a pet (unfixed). They seem to eat a lot of hay and know where it is, but when ever I I give them more pellets they eat like they haven’t eaten in days.

Usually the majority of rabbits on a limited pellet diet will greedily scarf their pellets down. Pellets basically become a treat to them. But if you want to slow down your rabbits a bit so they aren't inhaling their pellets, if you have a set up that allows you to scatter feed their pellets, you could try that. That way they have to take the time to look for the pellets on the floor. The rest of the time it's good for them to be occupied eating hay. It prevents boredom and is good for their overall health to be eating lots of hay.

But if you feel like their behavior is more than just getting excited about pellet feeding time, but that they are actually too hungry, then you could try increasing pellets to 1/3 cup and see how that goes. As long as they're eating a pile of hay the size of their body each day and have fecal poop that is a good size and consistency, have no mushy poop, aren't having dental or GI stasis issues, and are maintaining good body condition, then that's likely a good amount of pellets for them.

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Weight_management

Latest posts

Back