Preventing Mr. Bun Bun From Soiling His Beds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Mr. Bun Bun, my 9 year old bunny, has arthritis and unfortuantly cannot take his Metacam(seemingly the only pain meds available for bunnies) cause it gives him bladder sludge. All I can think of now is a cozy bed - an orthopedic bed would be great since he has arthritis and he is pretty old.

I recently made him a bed with egg crate foam in a pillow case - unfortuantly he soiled(like ALL beds I've ever given him) it and to make it worse - it is not washable(too big for the washer and even when I hand washed it, didn't dry all the way in the dryer and took FOREVER to air dry - I made him a pillow-like bed last week, and had no choice but to toss it out today because off how badly he soiled it with pee).

Ever since he was a baby he's ruined beds and pillows by constantly soiling them because he's too lazy to get off his bunny butt and use the litter box! The beds and pillows have had to be washed constantly and eventually wear and tear and end up in the trash.

I have much more egg crate foam to make a new bed - but is there anyway possible to keep him from soiling his beds? I can tolerate any poop as I can just sweep that off - but at least to stop the peeing? That's what ruins the beds.

Thanks.

I, personally, would just readjust the cage. I would put the litter box where he pees and move the bed, eventually he'll get tired of you changing everything and start using the box. It's what I did for some of my lazier buns.

Right now, though, he may still be a tad bit sore from his nueter so just put up with it for a bit and then in a while you can start this.

Could you get some fleece blankets? If you fold them over they provide more padding. They are easy to clean, just throw them in the wash. You may need a few to give him the comfort he needs. It would be good to wash them at least once a week, but more often may be needed depending on his habits.

Poor buns with the athritis :(

I don't know how to help with the peeing, but we had a cat who was 18 years old when she passed, and we got her a blanket that had magnets in it - the same as the ones that are used for humans with arthritis.

I can't think where we got it from or what it was called, but if your buns wasnt a chewer it could give him some relief, maybe a pet shop would have something similar. They are very easy to machine wash.

I would wrap the egg crate with a large plastic garbage bags then cover that with a flannel pillow case or like Kate suggested with fleece blankets. I picked upa bunch for about $5.00 each.

Winston is just like your Mr Bun Bun pees where he is not suppose to. I bought a bunch of kitchen towels from Walmart and putthem in their cage so he pees on them The little Brat will go in the litter box to eat the hay then come out and pee on the towel. I don't know how Vega puts up with him he's so messy but CUTE.

I do laundry once a week and the biggest load I do is Bunny linens.

Susan:)

I'm with Korr, buy like 6 of those $5 fleece blankets, and fold those up or into a low cardboard box (Like for 24 sodas) and then wash daily. Or buy a few cat beds, I have a cheapy $5 one from walmart that is washable, and Samson LOVES it.

You could cover the foam with a plastic pillow protector so that it is zipped inside. Check the thrift store for flannel pillow cases that you can then slip it into, baby receiving blankets, old towels and sheets and blankets that you can cut to size. Dog training pads work good if he is not a chewer. Large bag are fairly cheap and you can just throw them out.

Latest posts

Back