Preserving Rabbit Treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
Hello! I have been making a lot of rabbit treats recently and I have found that it is such a pain to have them stored in the fridge when Theo is in the shed. I have searched everywhere on the internet looking for some way to preserve them so I can keep them in a goodie bag in the shed. I was looking at Oxbow treats and they have added Mixed Tocopherols for preservation. I was wondering if there is some way that you can add mixed tocopherols to the treats to preserve them? Could I make the treats with freeze-dried fruits and veggies to preserve freshness?

I make my own treats too! And they can last up to two months without using any preservatives! I generally don’t use pellets in them as this strangely makes them mold! I bake my on a very low heat for 1- 2 1/2 hours (takes a while but it’s worth it)!

Thanks, I had no idea that it was the pellets that made them mold! So if I don't use pellets in the treats they won't mold, right? Can I still use fresh fruits and veggies in them and not store them in the fridge?

Thanks, I had no idea that it was the pellets that made them mold! So if I don't use pellets in the treats they won't mold, right? Can I still use fresh fruits and veggies in them and not store them in the fridge?
Yep! You can still use fresh fruit and veggies and they won’t mould (at least it doesn’t when I do it)!

Thanks for your help! I'm going to make some more treats today! I think I have figured out how to make the Timmy Pops by oxbow for Theo and I hope they work out. I bought some for him last month and he loved them so much, they are just expensive for him to eat all 3 in one day.

Latest posts

Back