Preparing for new bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys! We have been looking for a partner for Bambi ever since her partner passed away, we have spoken to several shelters for months and we finally found somebun! His name is Louie and he is a mini lop around 2 years old. The shelter had him neutered yesterday so he needs to recover so he will only be available in a month. The shelter also takes care of the bonding so i dont have to worry about that (thank god!). But I wanted to start prepping for his arrival by rearranging and buying some new toys. Any advice on what I can do to start prepping? Should I get another litter box (we use underbed boxes)? Should I get a hay box instead of pilling hay? Should I get some more hidies? Any advice is great!

Also I would really appreciate some name suggestions for our boy, I'll leave a pic below :) I was thinking of Mocha as he has brown spots, but I'm completely open to any other suggestions!

Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 14.20.11.pngScreenshot 2020-07-05 at 14.23.31.png

I'm a huge NIC advocate lol, I'm in Australia and they're called storage grids, got them from Kmart for $29AUD/16GBP and thats for 30grids!
I change up their hidey houses using NIC grids, throw some cushions on the top and cover it all with fleece. My boy and girl loves napping on TOP and inside it :), + I use the spare grids to block off some areas I don't want them to get into. 101 Rabbits fav hidey houses are made from NIC grids.

Toys can be done cheap and free! un-dyed cardboard boxes, toilet rolls scrunched up with treats in it, see if they like a particular type of toy and wait for a sale. My buns love tunnels, if they are good with litter training, you can throw hay in there and they will love it! Save the money for vet and hay!

Hay boxes can help with hay wastage but it really depends on ur rabs, some hates using them. You can also use the NIC grids and bend them to make hayrack too haha..

Mocha is a great name. He looks like cappuccino froth.

Last edited:
when the shelter does the bonding for you, then you don't need to fret over buying extra anything. You don't need a hay box or a rack or anything if the box is big enough to fit a pair of buns. Bonded buns tend to share their box, toys, bowls and other things. Unless you have few toys then yes, you can make some more.
if you have a big hideyhouse that can fit both, you could place one smaller that only allows one to fit in, and vice versa.

That's wonderful news! The main thing you should do when your bunny is away for bonding is to clean the environment thoroughly (use diluted white vinegar) so it is neutral territory when the honeymooners come back. The rescue centre will give you advice on how to set up housing etc. Hope it goes smoothly!

Latest posts

Back