Preparing for a new roommate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borjawil

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a bunny- a mini lop- and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and getting ready to bring him/her home. Ive looked at enclosures and I have the ability to give as big a cage as necessary although Im not sure how big is big enough. What sort of things should I do or be cautious of when I bring them home?

Have the cage ready before you pick up the rabbit. Any assembly should be done. Also have bedding ready (you don't have to put it in, just have it ready so you can quickly put it in the cage. Also have food and water dishes or bottles ready to go. A litter box is also good. Basically, you want the cage ready or only needing a few things so you can just put the rabbit in the cage once you get home. I would hold off on giving food until you get the rabbit home.
Get some food that the rabbit is used to eating. Breeders should give a small sample (usually around a weeks worth). You use this to switch the rabbit to what you want to feed. If it is a food you can get and want to use, then you can buy some yourself. It would be a good idea to have the food you want to feed available so you can start mixing right away.
Other than providing pellets and hay, I would not give other foods right away. You don't always know what the rabbit is used to eating and too much new stuff (new home, new pellets etc) can cause issues. Even if you do know, you may want to wait a couple days before giving veggies so the rabbit can settle in a bit.
Try not to bother the rabbit too much in the first few days. While what you do does depend on the rabbit, some need more time to settle in than others. Don't try too much too soon.

Make sure you know what to feed a young rabbit compared to an adult. If you are getting a baby (8 weeks to around 6 months), the diet is different than an adult (6 months and up). This is mostly the type of hay and pellets as well as the amount of pellets and if you should give veggies or not.

If the rabbit is older, ask what they are used to. The owner should have some tips on what they like and what they don't. Know they like to move the litter box around can be helpful to you. If the like a bed, that can also be good to know. Some rabbits are more destructive than others, so you may need to do some extra bunny proofing. It is also good to ask if they use a water bottle or bowl as you can then get what they use and could change it later.

What you use it up to you. I like wood pellets are they are cheap and effective. You can find them at hardware stores as wood stove pellets (make sure there is nothing added though) or feed/farm stores as horse stall bedding (they may also have wood stove ones). A 40 pound bag costs around $4-8. I have 5 rabbits and a bag lasts me a couple months. Some people use paper pellets such as Yesterday's News, you can use the cat stuff but avoid scented ones. You do want to avoid clay or clumping litters as they are dangerous for rabbits.

Most rabbits don't seem to knock the litter box over. I would not do anything special unless your rabbit does need it. What you do does depend on your cage. You can get triangular boxes that are made for small animals, they usually have clips that attach it to the cage. If you use a rectangular box, you can try drilling holes in the rim or near the top and attaching a clip (dog leash type clip) with a zip tie. You can then clip the box to the cage. You could also try blocking the litter box in with other items like boxes to it is harder to move.

Here is a really good site that got me through new-rabbithood:

http://rabbit.org/

I would spend an hour or so browsing through it just to make sure you're prepared for slavehood! Good luck!

no issues on being a slave to my animal buddies. I have a spoiled dog and have owned numerous animals some easier than others to take care of. Such as snakes. Worst was probably my Blue and Gold Macaw.

here are pics! Ive since added a hiding place and have to finish the second level for him.

3106070730_photobucket_121380_.jpg

3106070730_photobucket_121379_.jpg

3106070730_photobucket_121381_.jpg

Latest posts

Back