Pregnant Rabbit Still Hasn’t Given Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopsAreGreat

Reaction score
One of my does is 32 days pregnant and she hasn’t given birth. It’s been super hot here and I read that this can play a factor. I’ve brought all my rabbits in for the day, what do you all think? She’s a first time mom too, does this play a factor in how long her pregnancy is?

A couple days overdue isn’t necessarily too concerning, though if it’s past 34 days it’s likely they will be still-born… most first litters are unfortunately..

Can you feel them moving? Let her run around and keep the room she’s in quiet and dark. I’m sure she’ll have them soon!

In 9 years I never had any problem with first timers, about 8 of them, it's not like most first litters die.

I would keep her in for now if it's too hot outside, moving her to and fro can be stressful, and stress can drone out her instincts telling her what to do, especially with first timers meddling can be a problem.
Or find a way to cool her and one corner of the nestbox outside, depends on how your setup looks like.

A couple days overdue isn’t necessarily too concerning, though if it’s past 34 days it’s likely they will be still-born… most first litters are unfortunately..

Can you feel them moving? Let her run around and keep the room she’s in quiet and dark. I’m sure she’ll have them soon!
I could feel and see them moving. Yes I will try to keep it quiet and dark for her. Thanks for the help!

In 9 years I never had any problem with first timers, about 8 of them, it's not like most first litters die.

I would keep her in for now if it's too hot outside, moving her to and fro can be stressful, and stress can drone out her instincts telling her what to do, especially with first timers meddling can be a problem.
Or find a way to cool her and one corner of the nestbox outside, depends on how your setup looks like.

Okay, maybe I should just keep her inside for this week, it’s supposed to be in the 100’s pretty much all week. When do you think it would be concerning if she hasn’t given birth?

Also, should I take her to the vet if she still hasn’t given birth? Or is she actually pregnant? She’s definitely bigger, felt kicks and saw movement, but I read that this can easily be mistaken for digestion. I just don’t understand why she wouldn’t be pregnant though, she had four fall offs, it’s just making me worried that she’s not pregnant, it’s all really stressing me out. I don’t exactly know what to do now. 🙁 hopefully she gives birth tonight, I’ll update when I find out more.

With 4 fall offs, I’m sure she is. It’s only a day late, I think my old doe did this once too. Don’t stress, she’ll be ok.

Has she pulled any hair? If not, perhaps brush her out and put some of her hair in her nest box. When I bred lionheads I kept all my does brushed out hair for when she had kits just in case.

keep us posted, but if there isn’t any change by tomorrow you may want to get her checked out just to be on the safe side. Also, keep an eye out for anything unusual and maybe set timers throughout the night to check on her?

With 4 fall offs, I’m sure she is. It’s only a day late, I think my old doe did this once too. Don’t stress, she’ll be ok.

Has she pulled any hair? If not, perhaps brush her out and put some of her hair in her nest box. When I bred lionheads I kept all my does brushed out hair for when she had kits just in case.

keep us posted, but if there isn’t any change by tomorrow you may want to get her checked out just to be on the safe side. Also, keep an eye out for anything unusual and maybe set timers throughout the night to check on her?
So far she hasn’t pulled fur, but I will definitely check on her throughout the night, and put some fur in her nesting area. If she hasn’t given birth by tomorrow morning, I’m going to call the vet and get an ultrasound hopefully and if she is pregnant, see if they can give her something to induce labor. Thank you for the help!!

I would not take her to the vet if there isn't anything wrong and she acts and eats normally, that's huge stress. What a doe needs is nesting material, rest and privacy. And lots of food once she kindled.

I would just wait it out, until day 40, then you'll know.

I would not take her to the vet if there isn't anything wrong and she acts and eats normally, that's huge stress. What a doe needs is nesting material, rest and privacy. And lots of food once she kindled.

I would just wait it out, until day 40, then you'll know.
Ok, thank you! I appreciate the help a lot, it’s been a long time since I’ve gone through rabbits being pregnant.

How is she? Any little ones?
Oh yes! I meant to reply! She had 7 beautiful babies! She had a false pregnancy 7 days after we initially bred her which made her infertile and we bred her again and she ended up having them an hour before going into 31 days! There are 3 tricolors, 1 broken chestnut, 1 solid chestnut, 1 blue harlequin, and 1 broken blue. They are all so beautiful!

Latest posts

Back