Pregnant rabbit poop.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirstysharp2847

Reaction score
Hi, My rabbit is due any day now and she keeps having large poops. It's double the size of her normal poops and there always loads in one pile. Could this be due to her pregnancy? Her poops have only become like this the past few days and there not usually like this. I'm not that worried I just want to know if this is a sign of her pregnancy. She hasn't started nesting or anything yet. Thanks!

Hi, I am no expert but I've read that rabbits normally producing two types of poop, hard and soft but we usually can't see the soft ones because they eat them because they need them to maintain healthy digestion or something. But when they are stressed they can forget to eat them or if there's big belly and it is difficult to reach them then we can see them sometimes. I think it could be in your case too. Here's link to the article about it very informative
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
Normal and abnormal fecal and cecal feces of rabbits
>>Healthy rabbits produce two types of feces:
· Hard round feces of intestinal origin are rich in small pieces of hay and other debris. They can be seen around or in the litter-box.
· Smelly soft grape-like cecotropes (also called soft cecal pellets) coated with a thin layer of mucus that are produced in the cecum. They are rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins, water, and bacteria. To avoid the loss of these precious nutrients, the rabbit will re-ingest them as soon as they pass the anus, without chewing, to avoid breaking the outer coats of the grains. This enables the continuation of fermentation and the survival of bacteria inside the grains while passing the acid hostile environment of the stomach.

Thank you but it's not cecotropes. It's like her normal poop and it's hard in a ball. She's 30 -34 days into her "pregnancy". I'm just hoping she is pregnant!

Thank you but it's not cecotropes. It's like her normal poop and it's hard in a ball. She's 30 -34 days into her "pregnancy". I'm just hoping she is pregnant!
I know this was a while ago but I bealive my bun is pregnant she also hasent started nesting yet just digging here and their. She has also started pooping bigger poops and alot at once as you said. Do you think it was because she was pregnant? Did her poops go back to normal after she had her babies?

Latest posts

Back