Pregnant? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got 2 rabbits (male and female), and I am concerned that the female is pregnant. Should I prepare a nesting box just in case??
(this is an old photo before I took out the blanket which I heard is not the best choice during litter training)
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 7.19.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Prepare a nesting box and seperate the male and female, making sure that they can’t get to each other but can still see and smell each other. The male can impregnate her again just hours after she’s given birth. While they’re separated, look into getting the male neutered.

Why do you think she is pregnant? The only way to see if she is pregnant is a manual exam. Its easy to know what you are feeling for unless you have felt babies before (feels like marbles in lower abdomen) Your vet could confirm definitely. If babies are too young, they can not show up on x-ray. If she is, separate her. If a mommy bunny feels stressed out she can hurt her babies. I could not agree more, unless you want to breed him, get him neutered!

She is probably not pregnant yet but you should get him neutered as soon as possible and if you want to spay her do it at the same time now and not later

They are each 3 months old, the ideal age of pregnancy.
If it's 3 months like 12 weeks she's maybe not, if like 14 weeks it is more possible. Also depends on their personal development, some rabbits can stay like babies for longer and just act like babies. Maybe you're lucky then.

Watch them how they act have you ever noticed he grooms her extensively or humps, honks etc, maybe he is still not interested in her and they are just friends.

If she is pregnant then she can get aggressive when he tries mounting her it means she's not available she already carries babies. It is very hard to feel babies in her belly, you won't be able to notice probably until she gives birth. Rabbits are pregnant 31 days approximately she will start nesting a few days before that.

If you have plans on spaying her anyway I would suggest doing it right now as soon as you can get an appointment, in that case if she is pregnant already her uteruses will be removed with fetuses.

3 months is a bit too early to have babies, she is still growing herself and she would need to build new bones inside of her, she will take building materials from her own bones.

So if she is pregnant your vet might be able to find out using ultrasound or just go for a spaying surgery that would be easiest solution in your case.

Some vets would only take females for fixing after they are 4-4,5 months but if you can explain your situation it might be possible since that would be an emergency.

Anyway they should be separated immediately with min 1 inch gap between their gates.

Last edited:
3 months is usually a bit too early - but you should separate them in case . Even if she were to get pregnant at this age, it would be very hard on her :( she’s still a baby herself and hasn’t had a chance to grow to full size or mature to develop those motherly instincts.
Check your buck to see if his testicles have dropped yet. If they are there, he’s able to breed.

If breeding is not your intention , he should be neutered before they are put back together .

Latest posts

Back