Pregnant doe.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattie83

Reaction score
I didnt realize i had a female i thought i had two bucks. I introduced them to eachother a month and a half ago. They live with eavhother they got along so well i decidedcto home them together. Well i started to notice that my buck was missing essential parts. So i researched and noticed i have a doe. Read only does have nipples. Well now im convinced she is pregnant. The last few days she has been trying to burrow. She kicks out everythingg from her potty tray and the burthing box into a huge mess in the cage. Not sure what to do with this mess. I cleaned it the other day and she did it again. I separted the twp rabbits for now. She has been breathing very heavy tonight is this normal. Shes eating just fine and drinking. But when not eating shes laying and breathing heavy she will be 6 months old in 2 weeks. Not sure if this is normal plus her nesting behavior is a big mess and shes not pulling hair. Im not 100 percent shes pregnant but shes got alot bigger. I probably will try to get her to the vet but with covid19 it concerns me getting out of the house. What to do? If shes not pregnant im going to get her fixed i dont want to fix my buck because i love his personality and im afraid it will change if i do nuter him.

Give her a nice box or small long tote she can hop into and have the babes in. Make sure the walls are high enough that the babes wont fall out .. Put hay and other bedding in it and let her build a nest. She will pull fur so do not be alarmed.. Leave the fur where it is..

Thank you for advice. I took her to the vet last week. She had started sneezing. They gave me a antibiotic said she had a upper respirotory infection. I have had to give her shots daily. Which i hate. I figured out i dont think it was a infection it was allergies. I had switched bedding. I think that is why she started digging out her litter box and nesting box. She wasnt nesting she was getting the stuff away from her. I went back to simple cedar chips and shes fine. Not trashing her room or sneezing. The vet said shes only 2 weeks along. So i have a few weeks to go.

Thank you for advice. I took her to the vet last week. She had started sneezing. They gave me a antibiotic said she had a upper respirotory infection. I have had to give her shots daily. Which i hate. I figured out i dont think it was a infection it was allergies. I had switched bedding. I think that is why she started digging out her litter box and nesting box. She wasnt nesting she was getting the stuff away from her. I went back to simple cedar chips and shes fine. Not trashing her room or sneezing. The vet said shes only 2 weeks along. So i have a few weeks to go.
Do not use cedar chips. It can cause liver disease. I would use pine pellets, paper pellets, or pine shavings, though I prefer the pine pellets.

Thank you so much. I didnt realize this. So pine shavings is fine also?I was using a paper product but it had addutives prior helped with the smell but was causing allergic reaction. I quit immediately.Im new to this stuff i try to read as much as i can. I started with a wild baby rabbit a year ago that my children found. That went terrible but was the beginning to the live of rabbits. My husband nought me a dwarf lion lop and ive had him 10 months my sunny. Then i got stormy my french lop ive had her 6 mths. I got her at 4 weeks old. Its all a learning experience i love my fluffy children and wantvto give them the best life i can any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Pine shavings are fine, just not cedar. I would litter train her, for easy cleaning and to save money. You do not need bedding to cover the whole floor because it confuses them on where to go to the bathroom.

Thank you i have been potty training both they are getting much better. Since syormy got pregnant though shes been trashing her cage buijding up piles of chips and hay everywhere. I keep cleaning it. I know she will start nesting and i thought that was what she was doing it appears like thats her intention but. Its not in the nest box its all over the floor. She kicks everyrhing out of her potty tray. I clean her cage every 2 days. I dont want to disrupt her environment but i dont want her living in filth. She used to be the ckean irderly bunny. My male was the stubborn one. Now they have switched roles. I need to set her up a nesting box. I do have a wood box i bought that she sleeps in but im afraid its to small. Also i need to cut her nails i took her to vet a week ago and couldnt go in due to covid 19 they were supposed to trim nails and forgot. Well now they wont trim her nails unless i make another appiintment since its nonessential. Shes pregnant and angry and biting so i can barely get her oit of her cage let alone cut nails. Im lost dont know what to do. Ive read the nails need cut 10 days prior im running out of time. The vet said ahe was at least 2 weeks along last week. So im either at day 21 or day 27 no clue. Stressing out about this. Staying up at night checking on her since she was sick ladt week shes doing much better. Not sneezing at all. She looked a little bloated yesterdat but was eating drinking and popping fine. Im so getting her and sunny fixed after this. This is entirely overwhelming.

I would get her a nesting box because you don't want her to have the babies in the litter box. Here are several videos on clipping rabbit's nails:

Thank you im just afraid of stressing her out. Also i just heard her sneeze again she did it last week i took her to vet got her on 5 days of injections. I really think she has allergies. Shes active eats drinks fine everything. No red eyes runny nose occasional sneeze her and there. It sucks i only have 1 vwt her who takes exotics and i cant go in animal hospital peripd due to the covid. Im one to ask quetions and observe. I had to adminster the shots they daid it was a low dose. Dont think they even ran any tests. So do i go back last injection was sunday.

What type of shots were they? If they didn't test her why did they give her shots? It is probably just seasonal allergies or from dusty hay.

I dont know i never let my pets go by thereselves. Doc said it could be upper redpirotory but she only was sneezing. After i changed bedding it got better. Now its a occasional sneeze and my other bunny never got sick. I usually go to a lady that specializes in rabbits but apperntly she wasnt there ive never met this dr. Before. He called me while my pet was in exam room. It just scares je i nlknow time is essential with these things.

Also i just read that meadow hsy isnt good. I buy oxbow timothy meaduw hay. Was told to get that. Thats been my rabbits hay this whole time. I need to get more alfalfa since shes pregnant. Ive read so many things and so many different people say different things. I feel so lost right niw. Thought ive been doing good.

It was probably just seasonal allergies. I wouldn't take her to that vet again unless it is the rabbit Doctor, the doctor that you saw didn't sound experienced.
Meadow hay is fine, but Timothy is better. She needs to be getting lots of Alfalfa to prevent diarrhea.
This is the timothy hay I get: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-timothy-grab-go-compressed-bale?cm_vc=-10005.
You can get Alfalfa for her: Standlee Premium Western Forage Premium Alfalfa Grab & Go Compressed Bale at Tractor Supply Co..

I love teactir supply thats where i get all my stuff. Guess i will pick up nail clippers timothy hay more pine chips and alfalfa. Um birthing box i have a old kitty litter box with a top will that be sufficient or should i go try to buy something else.

A cat litter box will work perfectly! Since you are litter training, grab a bag of pine pellets because they work amazing in the litter box. You don't have to put them everywhere, just in the litter box.

Awesome. You are amazing. I dont feel so alone in this now. It helps to roll around questions and get knowledge from other people. You are a bunny whisperer. 🐇

Thank you! I might seem like a bunny whisperer, but I'm far from it! I have only owned a rabbit for 2.5 years. In those years though, I learned a lot due to this site! I started out asking questions, and now I get to answer questions.

Latest posts

Back