Pregnant Doe with 6 week olds.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegBev_21

Reaction score
Hey so I've tried to do some research but am coming up short on answers. So I have a litter of Lionshead/Havana rabbits and they'll be 6 weeks old on Friday. On Monday though, my doe is set to have another litter due to her breaking down what we thought was an indestructible barrier between her and the babies from my buck (Obviously a barrier was no match for her strong will.) I am trying to figure out if it's going to be ok to separate her from my buck and keep the babies with her or if she might see the older bunnies as a "threat" to the newborns and kill either one of the litters. I know you're supposed to keep the babies with mom until they are 8 weeks so that they can still nurse. Is it ok to separate them 2 weeks early or is it ok to leave all the babies with her? I am obviously separating her and the dad because it's not healthy for her to be having babies so close to each other! Any suggestions welcome! I know some people are going to say have her spayed, but I am planning to at least get a couple more litters out of her if I can and then I'll get one or both of them fixed and let them be together. Thank you!

It's actually very common to wean babies at 6 weeks. I sometimes do as well (I wean between 6-8 weeks, depending on how the litter and doe is looking, on a case by case basis). In this case I would definitely separate the older babies. You might want to keep them at your place for a few weeks (until they're 8-10 weeks) so that they're not stressed out while transitioning over to solid food, before finding them new homes.

It's actually very common to wean babies at 6 weeks. I sometimes do as well (I wean between 6-8 weeks, depending on how the litter and doe is looking, on a case by case basis). In this case I would definitely separate the older babies. You might want to keep them at your place for a few weeks (until they're 8-10 weeks) so that they're not stressed out while transitioning over to solid food, before finding them new homes.
Ok! Thank you! I figured I would still keep them for the last couple weeks to make sure they stay healthy before sending them off! I'll try this and keep them separated and see how they do.

! Any suggestions welcome! I know some people are going to say have her spayed, but I am planning to at least get a couple more litters out of her if I can and then I'll get one or both of them fixed and let them be together. Thank you!
Don't be too greedy, if you will force her have litter after litter without making a few months breaks you can kill her and also her babies can be born with defects or stillborn since she will be too exhausted and will have no time to recover after she will have to build new bodies inside of her belly and then produce milk for her babies in the next 8 weeks, you shouldn't let her be with a male all the time, only breed max 3 times a year and provide high quality high protein and calcium food all the time she is pregnant and nursing. Otherwise this is just exploiting her and irresponsible breeding.

Last edited:
Don't be too greedy, if you will force her have litter after litter without making a few months breaks you can kill her and also her babies can be born with defects or stillborn since she will be too exhausted and will have no time to recover after she will have to build new bodies inside of her belly and then produce milk for her babies in the next 8 weeks, you shouldn't let her be with a male all the time, only breed max 3-4 times a year. Otherwise this is just exploiting her and irresponsible breeding.
I know it's not healthy for her. I specifically said that. I'm saying having more litters as in down the road. I am at a point where I can't be having more litters for quite a while anyways and after this litter they're being separated better. I am in the process of moving and how I had to separate them for the time being is what she knocked down. I never planned on breeding her in the first place but I got a lot of requests for the babies and so I thought I'd give it a shot for the next couple years until she is about 4 cause I know that's when they're done. If you had fully read you would realize that they're only all together right now because, well, she can't get anymore pregnant. She breaks down the fence to be with him and so I hate separating them. But I don't have the funds just lying around to get either one of them fixed at the moment and I took her in as a rescue and they fell in love with each other so I'm not going to give her away. Thank you.

I know it's not healthy for her. I specifically said that. I'm saying having more litters as in down the road. I am at a point where I can't be having more litters for quite a while anyways and after this litter they're being separated better. I am in the process of moving and how I had to separate them for the time being is what she knocked down. I never planned on breeding her in the first place but I got a lot of requests for the babies and so I thought I'd give it a shot for the next couple years until she is about 4 cause I know that's when they're done. If you had fully read you would realize that they're only all together right now because, well, she can't get anymore pregnant. She breaks down the fence to be with him and so I hate separating them. But I don't have the funds just lying around to get either one of them fixed at the moment and I took her in as a rescue and they fell in love with each other so I'm not going to give her away. Thank you.
What a nonsense you didn't want to breed her but you got lots of requests so you decided to make her work to fulfill those requests.

You 'rescued' her but with all your described problems I think she'd need to be rescued from you.
Firstly, you were unable to separate two intact rabbits so they bred (surely you take no responsibility for that, they are so in love with each other). Now you are moving and that puts pregnant rabbit under extra stress, which can cause so many complications for her and her babies.
You don't have funds laying around so what if she needs vets help, you won't have funds to pay bills.

This is a very common mistake with hobby breeders, they think that breeding and selling babies will fix their own finances but in fact if you want to get good healthy babies and keep mother healthy and happy you will need to spend so much more on quality food and proper care, so you will spend more than you will earn. I am just really sorry that whoever gave her to you didn't think that you will exploit her for getting money for the babies. Poor girl.

What a nonsense you didn't want to breed her but you got lots of requests so you decided to make her work to fulfill those requests.

You 'rescued' her but with all your described problems I think she'd need to be rescued from you.
Firstly, you were unable to separate two intact rabbits so they bred (surely you take no responsibility for that, they are so in love with each other). Now you are moving and that puts pregnant rabbit under extra stress, which can cause so many complications for her and her babies.
You don't have funds laying around so what if she needs vets help, you won't have funds to pay bills.

This is a very common mistake with hobby breeders, they think that breeding and selling babies will fix their own finances but in fact if you want to get good healthy babies and keep mother healthy and happy you will need to spend so much more on quality food and proper care, so you will spend more than you will earn. I am just really sorry that whoever gave her to you didn't think that you will exploit her for getting money for the babies. Poor girl.
I understand what you're saying. But I have stated every issue and stated that I was needing help and you jump on here bashing me and making fun of me when I have said I need help. So thank you for that. Really making people feel good about themselves. I have taken her to the vet. And am making sure she and her baby are happy and healthy. Just because how I raise my rabbits isn't how you do does not mean that it is not ok. I appreciate your info. So thank you.

I understand what you're saying. But I have stated every issue and stated that I was needing help and you jump on here bashing me and making fun of me when I have said I need help. So thank you for that. Really making people feel good about themselves. I have taken her to the vet. And am making sure she and her baby are happy and healthy. Just because how I raise my rabbits isn't how you do does not mean that it is not ok. I appreciate your info. So thank you.
I am not making fun of you I simply say that what you are doing is very irresponsible and when you say you are planning to get a few more litters out of her and that you've 'rescued' her that makes no sense at all. You were asking for help asking is that okay if your rabbit has babies every six weeks, sure you will have to separate her older babies now since she won't have enough milk to nurse new babies if she keeps nurse older ones. At six weeks if you provide with high protein and calcium unlimited food and maybe some additives as well if they underweight they will survive. They will be eating a lot more now up to 250 gram of pellets a day each, if they don't get enough rich food they can't develop strong immune system and with weaker immune system they will be prone to illnesses, parasites like mites etc. So make sure they get proper food and a lot. She must get also junior high protein food unlimited and hay of course, also any stress is bad for her, moving can cause lots of stress.

You are asking for help here because you basically don't want to pay vet bills, so you want to make more money selling the babies by reducing cost of your vets bills. You're smart enough for that.

Last edited:
I am not making fun of you I simply say that what you are doing is very irresponsible and when you say you are planning to get a few more litters out of her and that you've 'rescued' her that makes no sense at all. You were asking for help asking is that okay if your rabbit has babies every six weeks, sure you will have to separate her older babies now since she won't have enough milk to nurse new babies if she keeps nurse older ones. At six weeks if you provide with high protein and calcium unlimited food and maybe some additives as well if they underweight they will survive. They will be eating a lot more now up to 250 gram of pellets a day each, if they don't get enough rich food they can't develop strong immune system and with weaker immune system they will be prone to illnesses, parasites like mites etc. So make sure they get proper food and a lot. She must get also junior high protein food unlimited and hay of course, also any stress is bad for her, moving can cause lots of stress.

Thank you! I'm sorry, I get heated in stressful moments. I never planned on any of these litters and I was heart broken when I learned she broke over and obviously did what 2 un-neutered rabbits are going to do. I have been worried about her every step of the way whether or not she's going to have enough milk, whether the older babies are going to be okay, etc. It's just, I've been stressed about everything. This just all came at a very bad time and I am taking every precaution along the way with moving so as to be as little stress on them as possible. I can leave them at my old house for a couple of weeks and still check on them daily to feed and brush and clean, so my plan is to leave them until the babies are a couple of weeks old so as to be less stressful. Thank you for the info it really is helpful and I do appreciate it. I tried asking the vet and my neighbor who has worked in the vet field for 40 years for help but no one could offer me any real info which is really sad and making me reconsider where I've taken her. I jumped on here with my question in hopes that people who have done this for a lot longer then I have could offer me more help, seeing as it feels like I am all alone. I have done as much research as I can, spending hours after hours looking for help and came across this website after finding nothing that could offer any real help.

Thank you! I'm sorry, I get heated in stressful moments. I never planned on any of these litters and I was heart broken when I learned she broke over and obviously did what 2 un-neutered rabbits are going to do. I have been worried about her every step of the way whether or not she's going to have enough milk, whether the older babies are going to be okay, etc. It's just, I've been stressed about everything. This just all came at a very bad time and I am taking every precaution along the way with moving so as to be as little stress on them as possible. I can leave them at my old house for a couple of weeks and still check on them daily to feed and brush and clean, so my plan is to leave them until the babies are a couple of weeks old so as to be less stressful. Thank you for the info it really is helpful and I do appreciate it. I tried asking the vet and my neighbor who has worked in the vet field for 40 years for help but no one could offer me any real info which is really sad and making me reconsider where I've taken her. I jumped on here with my question in hopes that people who have done this for a lot longer then I have could offer me more help, seeing as it feels like I am all alone. I have done as much research as I can, spending hours after hours looking for help and came across this website after finding nothing that could offer any real help.
I understand your situation leaving her and babies in your old house and if you will be able to check and feed them it would be less stressful probably than if you will be moving them now. But now when older babies are 6 weeks and will get no mother's milk, they'd need to be fed junior high protein 16-18% and high calcium pellets 4-6 times a day they will be always hungry, so think 240 gram per head and leave them enough if you only can check them once a day. This is not very good since they can eat too much at once and get diarrhea and all. This is age when they would need more attention than just once a day. Also first week for the new babies is critical you'd need to check at least twice a day if she's nursing and if there's any problems, this takes time.
She also must have unlimited high protein and calcium pellets (junior) so also think about 240 gram daily.

Make sure unlimited hay and fresh clean water available all the time. You will need much more food so store some and hay to avoid situations you are coming to check them at night and there's no hay left and stores are closed.

Last edited:
I understand your situation leaving her and babies in your old house and if you will be able to check and feed them it would be less stressful probably than if you will be moving them now. But now when older babies are 6 weeks and will get no mother's milk, they'd need to be fed junior high protein 16-18% and high calcium pellets 4-6 times a day they will be always hungry, so think 240 gram per head and leave them enough if you only can check them once a day. This is not very good since they can eat too much and get diarrhea and all. This is age when they would need more attention than just once a day. Also first week for the new babies is critical you'd need to check at least twice a day if she's nursing and if there's any problems, this takes time.
She also must have unlimited high protein and calcium pellets (junior) so also think about 240 gram daily.

Thank you. See I found some of that online but not as detailed. I was very surprised and happy with the first litter that when I'd check on them, that first week, they were doing so well. She's a naturally very good mother. Just everything I have been able to find stated to only separate the babies from mom at 8 weeks and basically no earlier. So I was freaking out how I was going to do this and keep her safe and healthy.

Well mother gives them good start and they should stay with her longer, 8-10 weeks is good, sometimes you separate boys and let girls stay with mother for longer, this is good for them, it's not only about milk but also rabbits are amazing mothers they educate their kits and it just feels good. But at 6 weeks kits are able to eat solid food and can survive.
Her situation still isn't very good and safe. Also depends on what you feed her. If she didn't get enough protein and calcium during her pregnancy and given that she had to nurse so produce highly nutritious milk for the babies, if she didn't have enough her new babies can be born weak or with defects, with no limbs etc, or stillborn. So this is possible. Depending on how many babies born and how many survived you will see what you can do for her.
She can also have some health issues, get skinny, lose some fur and other issues like she's losing calcium so she takes it from her own bones etc

How many babies were in her first litter, all survived by now?

Last edited:
She had 4 and all 4 are still alive and healthy. I have 1 boy and 3 girls.
So not too many that's good for her. Rabbits can have up to 14 babies so if there's big litter she needs to produce more milk etc. Keep us updated how it goes, so she should have them around Monday. What breed is she, any pics of her and father and babies?

Yeah I was very thankful for the small litter and that's partially also what I've been worried about. I'm afraid of a bigger litter this next time and her get overwhelmed. Black one is mom, white is dad (I don't have any recent of him he's too squirmy). And these are old pictures too of the babies. This was about 3 weeks ago and I was moving them inside due to work being done and I was afraid they would get too scared and their hearts might go out. Because unfortunately years ago like 20 years ago I had a baby bunny do that cause it got scared and I was really young, like 6, so obviously I've always been cautious cause they're resting heart rates are between 120 - 150 bpm.

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_183436.jpg
    IMG_20200513_183436.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-88742050.jpg
    Snapchat-88742050.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200523_164012.jpg
    IMG_20200523_164012.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 4
Hey so I've tried to do some research but am coming up short on answers. So I have a litter of Lionshead/Havana rabbits and they'll be 6 weeks old on Friday. On Monday though, my doe is set to have another litter due to her breaking down what we thought was an indestructible barrier between her and the babies from my buck (Obviously a barrier was no match for her strong will.) I am trying to figure out if it's going to be ok to separate her from my buck and keep the babies with her or if she might see the older bunnies as a "threat" to the newborns and kill either one of the litters. I know you're supposed to keep the babies with mom until they are 8 weeks so that they can still nurse. Is it ok to separate them 2 weeks early or is it ok to leave all the babies with her? I am obviously separating her and the dad because it's not healthy for her to be having babies so close to each other! Any suggestions welcome! I know some people are going to say have her spayed, but I am planning to at least get a couple more litters out of her if I can and then I'll get one or both of them fixed and let them be together. Thank you!

Buy some fruit flavoured tums. Crush one up and mix with water to make a paste. Syringe it to her (mostly just let her lick the syringe and DON’T shoot it down her throat) on day 31 when the second litter is coming. This will help with the calcium she’ll be burning (just give her as much of that tums as she’ll eat).
Also people like getting pets from people they know but honestly there’s already LOTS of pet rabbits needing homes and it’s a health risk every time you breed her. I’m a show breeder but I never intend on making pets, they only come up every once in awhile.

Buy some fruit flavoured tums. Crush one up and mix with water to make a paste. Syringe it to her (mostly just let her lick the syringe and DON’T shoot it down her throat) on day 31 when the second litter is coming. This will help with the calcium she’ll be burning (just give her as much of that tums as she’ll eat).
Also people like getting pets from people they know but honestly there’s already LOTS of pet rabbits needing homes and it’s a health risk every time you breed her. I’m a show breeder but I never intend on making pets, they only come up every once in awhile.
Ok thank you so much!!

Hey! Just wanted to jump on here and thank everyone for their advice! My doe had her babies on Monday and now being almost a week old I thought I'd update! She had 6 babies and all 6 are surviving! Yay! The older 4 are doing really well too now being 7 weeks old they're getting ready for their new forever homes! Daisy, my doe, is doing amazing and has been such a good mom, again. I did the time tablets every night the 28th through the 31st even the night she had the babies and it seemed to help her a lot! She has done amazing and has been securely locked up from my buck. Moving for me too has been postponed for a couple weeks which will be good to prevent stress on any of the rabbits. Again, thank you everyone for your concerns and advice. I really greatly appreciate it!!
P.s. Here's a picture of the new babies. They're doing really well in their nesting box! I took them out here to check on them and make sure everyone had nice round tummies and that I didn't have any dead ones I needed to take care of, which thankfully I did not!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_194825.jpg
    IMG_20200625_194825.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back