Pregnant bunny struggling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legs

Reaction score
My poor girl is currently struggling giving birth to her first litter. Over the past 3 hours she has given birth to two, premature looking, stillborns. She hasn't been able to lick the sack off and I'm worried. Help please

She is ok herself, will come to me when I check on her and still has an impressive appetite. I'm more worried she may be rejecting the litter, was looking for some insight on whether this was normal for a first litter

Please see a vet ASAP. Has she been eating and hydrated enough? Please make sure the premature babies are warm and fed. If you have another pregnant or nursing doe, she can help feed the babies if needed! I needed to do that several years ago. Hope everything will be alright.

Mum is doing fine, both babies were born still born. I think people may be misinterpreting my original post. Vet care is far from needed. I'm worried (as all pet owners are) but I should have said I'm more confused. First time mum bunny, is it normal to struggle? Coco is a dwarf lop cross so is the buck

Mum is doing fine, both babies were born still born. I think people may be misinterpreting my original post. Vet care is far from needed. I'm worried (as all pet owners are) but I should have said I'm more confused. First time mum bunny, is it normal to struggle? Coco is a dwarf lop cross so is the buck
Hello, I sincerely apologize, I read your post incorrectly. The part about the babies.

I once had a premature, somewhat weak New Zealand/Netherland Dwarf mix who seemed to struggle a bit when she was first giving birth, but turned out to be alright. However, she seemed to lack enough milk to feed all kits, so her sister, who gave birth several weeks ago, fed the remaining babies.

Is she still giving birth? I hope someone more experienced can help. I think all new Mom does are different-- some definitely make it look easy. Good luck, praying for the bunny.

I'm not sure if she is still in labor, have been monitoring her and she is ok. There was about 2 hours between both kits. They both looked maybe a week or 2 under developed. Was hoping an experienced breeder could help reassure and shed some light. Mum bunny will definitely be ok.

I'm not sure if she is still in labor, have been monitoring her and she is ok. There was about 2 hours between both kits. They both looked maybe a week or 2 under developed. Was hoping an experienced breeder could help reassure and shed some light. Mum bunny will definitely be ok.
Has she had anymore yet?? my Mini Rex doe had about 3 hours between two babies.

No more, still checking on her regularly though. Not sure if it's even possible but thought maybe the 2 she had were prems and she might carry more to full term.
Could be possible, keep a nest box in her cage for a while to make sure. You might just keep one in there from now on.

No more, still checking on her regularly though. Not sure if it's even possible but thought maybe the 2 she had were prems and she might carry more to full term.

I have heard of this happening, but i don't know how realistic it is. Hope your bun is ok!

Did she have any more? You never know with first litters how they will be, but if she didn’t clean the two stillborn kits then that wouldn’t be a good sign of her taking care of any born alive.

Did she have any more? You never know with first litters how they will be, but if she didn’t clean the two stillborn kits then that wouldn’t be a good sign of her taking care of any born alive.
No more kits. She tried to clean them but gave up not long after

No more kits. She tried to clean them but gave up not long after
today Saturday-10-27-2018,5:38pm pacific time,u.s.a.-it is of the utmost importance that all kits come out-otherwise,the mothers health is at grave risk,-if you are not sure -a radiograph is mandatory-immediately-to ensure{ from any dvm.-}- when able keep advised.,sincerely james waller for josph r cottontail and b-denium-rip

If you plan to breed her again, you could take her to the vet to make sure there are no other fetuses left. They can cause a doe to become sterile.

How far along is her pregnancy. Were you able to track when she got pregnant?

First time mothers are always a gamble. Either they don’t know how to take care of the babies or they can reject them. We have had many issues with first time moms and have had to foster a few litters over the years. Their second litter is usually better but not for every mother. We always have them three tries. If by the third litter they couldn’t figure it out they were retired

Latest posts

Back