Pregnancy Query - please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would wait until spring before breeding them again, when the weather is a bit warmer. You might have better luck then perhaps. The little one on it's own may do okay. Only time will tell.

I think we have all lost little ones & it is upsetting, especially after waiting a whole month to see what is going to happen, with great expectations.

Hugs!!!

it's day 5 now and seems like everything is still on track :) so happy that baby bunny is still coping despite being alone! also on the up side, baby bunny is well fed and has a full belly each time I check it, so seems like mummy bunny is doing a good job too.
thanks everyone for the support :)

hey guys, just thought I would give a quick update on what's going on.
baby is still doing very well :) opened it's eyes 2 days ago (on day 11).. and has been moving around more when I'm checking it.. he hasn't come out of the nest box by himself as of yet though..
1) does anyone know when they should start walking out of the nest box themselves? when do they do that usually?
2) also is there anything else I should be watching out for over the next few days?
thanks guys :)

Let me start by saying I'm not intending to offend anyone here. I am also not against breeding persay. But you mentioned the mom is a ND and the dad is a ND mix. I'm a big activist on only breeding to better a breed or if you're trying to accomplish a goal (such as creating a new breed which takes years and years to successfully do). I don't really need a response to this, I just wanted to voice my opinion, but I would really urge you not to breed these two if you're not breeding for one of these purposes. There are too many bunnies already that don't have homes. I actually stopped breeding my Velveteen Lops because I didn't like the homes they were going to. Over half of them ended up dead due to accidents, neglect, and straight out abuse.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now. To answer some of your questions, I only ever bred my rabbits two, maybe three times a year. It depended on the mom's body condition. She should look like she never gave birth before you breed her again. Pregnancy is really hard on them and I have seen rabbits literally bred to death by breeders who bred back to back. People will tell you that you can, and certainly you can, but you really shouldn't. They normally come out of the nest box around 14 days. They'll start nibbling on pellets and hay around 3 weeks. The mom seems to be doing a good job, so you should be able to sit back and enjoy the baby at this point. You've done a good job of checking on the baby.

hey guys, just thought I would give a quick update on what's going on.
baby is still doing very well :) opened it's eyes 2 days ago (on day 11).. and has been moving around more when I'm checking it.. he hasn't come out of the nest box by himself as of yet though..
1) does anyone know when they should start walking out of the nest box themselves? when do they do that usually?
2) also is there anything else I should be watching out for over the next few days?
thanks guys :)

When they start venturing out just depends. Our Tans jump out after they can see and our Polish tend to huddle in the box until I finally take them out. Once out they usually don't have a problem getting out on their own. At first they sometimes have trouble getting back in so I make sure they're in the box for the evening. We have the wood nestboxes.

:) hey guys.
just wondering if anyone will be able to tell me if baby rabbits can be fed "too much"?
I am looking at my baby bunny, and it looks so well fed with huge tummy. is there an extent where the baby is "too fat"?

Latest posts

Back