Predicting Rabbit's Coat Color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maylinagurl3

Reaction score
Hello! I've read a few posts on how a rabbit's coat color may changed as they mature. I was wondering if it was possible in any way to predict a rabbit's coat color. I'm interested in a couple of rabbits who are currently babies (pictures attached), and I'd be interested in knowing what colors their coats may be when they mature.

Rabbit 1 (Described by current owner as a "Cream Harlequin"):

Current Picture:
IMG_3554.jpg

Picture from 1 week ago:

IMG_3556.jpg

In particular, I'm wondering if the dark "harlequin" markings such as the one around her right eye might grow darker as she gets older, or if it's likely that her coat will grow lighter instead.

Rabbit 2 (Described by current owner as a "Cream Vienna Marked"):

IMG_3555.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Hi, can it be that the one with the mark is just another bunny, I see on their Instagram there's one bunny with the marks, in the third photo

For the ears, they are still very young and all rabbits born with straight ears they drop later, it can take up to 3 months or even longer if mixed breed. In your case as I see parents, they will be fully dropped and not helicopter for sure.

I have a rabbit with same blue markings as that one in third IG photo, he was born with them, even he had no fur they were clearly seen on his skin. But generally coat can get darker or change during lifetime, some rabbits have funny lines on their coats when shedding etc.

This thread would be best to move to Rabbitry forum, you will get more attention from professionals there, hope moderators can do it for you

Hi, can it be that the one with the mark is just another bunny, I see on their Instagram there's one bunny with the marks, in the third photo

For the ears, they are still very young and all rabbits born with straight ears they drop later, it can take up to 3 months or even longer if mixed breed. In your case as I see parents, they will be fully dropped and not helicopter for sure.

I have a rabbit with same blue markings as that one in third IG photo, he was born with them, even he had no fur they were clearly seen on his skin. But generally coat can get darker or change during lifetime, some rabbits have funny lines on their coats when shedding etc.

This thread would be best to move to Rabbitry forum, you will get more attention from professionals there, hope moderators can do it for you

Hi! Thank you so much for your insight!

I double-checked, and it looks like it is the same bunny in the first two pictures. Here are a couple of other pictures that the breeder recently posted of the bunny, and you can kind of see markings around her right eye.

IMG_3559.PNG

So sorry about the improper topic post—is there a way for me to ask a moderator to move the topic? Thank you again!

Oh now I can see the marking I thought it was just light shadow in the first hoto. I would say she will have it for life, it can get a bit darker or lighter with molting but it should stay there.

You can hit Report button on the left bottom side of your first post to get attention from moderators just state in your report that you would like to move this thread to Rabbitry forum and they should be able to help

A bit confused though since in your first post pics the marking one week ago was quite clearly seen on her left eye and on her official photo (first you've posted) I couldn't see any markings on her left eye, but maybe it's just light?

As per their post they will be ready to go on 30st November it means they will be 8 weeks then so now they are 5,5 weeks and one week earlier photo taken at 4,5 weeks.

img_3554-jpg.51524

img_3556-jpg.51525

In my experience, color darkens with age as the rabbit develops / molts their baby coat. Harlequin markings will become more prominent with age as well!

Also, for Rabbit 2, will she ever develop full “lop” ears, or will she likely have helicopter ears?
The ears will probably never completely flop, as this rabbit has "ear control" whereas the sibling already has the iconic floppy ears of Holland Lops :) Hope this helps!

In my experience, color darkens with age as the rabbit develops / molts their baby coat. Harlequin markings will become more prominent with age as well!

The ears will probably never completely flop, as this rabbit has "ear control" whereas the sibling already has the iconic floppy ears of Holland Lops :) Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! To clarify, is it 100% certain that she has “ear control” at this point? Additionally, do bunnies with “ear control” never fully flop, or is it that they usually don’t? Thank you again!

Thanks so much! To clarify, is it 100% certain that she has “ear control” at this point? Additionally, do bunnies with “ear control” never fully flop, or is it that they usually don’t? Thank you again!
Of course, that's what I'm here for! YES, she has "ear control" at this stage and NO, her ears will most likely never fully flop like rabbit 1, if that's what you are looking for 💞

Here is an example of an adult bun with airplane ears / "ear control" to give you an idea! Things can change as they get older, but some will always have the capability to "lift" their ears.
Screenshot_20201119-160600.png

Latest posts

Back