Prebonding an neutered male and uneutered male?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokkibada

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a weird situation where my current bun (cal) is schedule to get fixed next month. I recently stumbled upon another rabbit that is in need of rescuing (owner neglect and overall not interested and wants to give him away as fast as possible). I'm planning to pick up the rescue tomorrow who is fixed, I was wondering if it's even possible to prebond these two? I won't let them get near each other but the rescue needs some time quarantining/getting used to his new environment and I was wondering if it's okay to have their pens next to each other?

By the time cal gets fixed and recovered I'm hoping to get him bonded with his new friend.

Picture below is cal's current set up! I think I'm planning to deep clean everything tonight and possible remove or move his giant cardboard mansion elsewhere and have the rescue stay in that general area fenced off.

I was also wondering if it's okay for the two to share the same play space? Obviously they won't be out at the same time but will the new scents bother them?
641F75BD-AEF7-4781-A71B-8C8CED6D5C56.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmm... my male bit off a chunk of my other rabbits ear when he the escaped the pen (they were just babies) I maybe would try and wait because males WILL NOT be afraid to fight if there feeling territorial. One there both fixed it will be easier. If you try now you might make some bad memories. I mean it’s completely up to you but I think you should keep there cages a bit separate my males will try to bite through the bars. You don’t want them being frustrated at each other before bonding. Hope that helps! Ask if you need more questions answered:)

Hmmm... my male bit off a chunk of my other rabbits ear when he the escaped the pen (they were just babies) I maybe would try and wait because males WILL NOT be afraid to fight if there feeling territorial. One there both fixed it will be easier. If you try now you might make some bad memories. I mean it’s completely up to you but I think you should keep there cages a bit separate my males will try to bite through the bars. You don’t want them being frustrated at each other before bonding. Hope that helps! Ask if you need more questions answered:)

oh god that's a bit scary! Thankfully the barriers I have are those plastic ones so they shouldn't be able to bite or nip each other. Do you think swapping some of their items might help the aggressiveness or will it agitate one bunny more?

I agree. Keep them separate. There is no point in swapping toys or "pre-bonding." Your guy will return from the vet smelling like a different rabbit anyway.

Once he's returned from surgery, it is beneficial to have their cages near each other so they can get accustomed to each other (anew) before any bonding begins.

Latest posts

Back