Prebonded rabbit fight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyandgianni

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

To give you a little background I have two pet bunnies; one is a male named Gianni and the other is a female named Penny. I rescued Gianni a year ago and he is a free roam (he is 2), and I rescued Penny two months ago (she is about 8 months). Both rabbits have been fixed, Penny was fixed a month ago and Gianni was fixed over six months ago.

Since I have gotten penny, they have been kept in separate areas in the same room (she has a pen while he free roams), but have always been in seeing distance. I have done lots of toy swapping, they have had stressful car rides together, and have even had a few successful dates (kissing, cuddling, sharing food, etc.) and they have also begun to mimic one another.

However, today while I was out doing some errands, Penny escaped her pen somehow and landed herself into Gianni's area. I came back into the room to see a pulled fur mess and a Bitten Penny ear! Luckily, the bite is more of a superficial issue and resulted in just a small cut and both bunnies are over all fine. When I had come into the room, they both were just nose to nose staring at one another, it seemed like they had gotten over whatever had happened.

Over all, I'm worried what this means for their bonding and I need some help!

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn’t say that their bonding is ruined from one fight, but some rabbits do hold a grudge. I’d recommend taking it slower and moving Penny into another room. Bonding in Gianni’s area will be difficult because it’s his territory and now there’s this rabbit that has just come along. When your bonding, do it in a neutral territory, where neither of their smells have been in and neither of them have claimed that room.

I’d love to see some pictures of your bunnies!

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn’t say that their bonding is ruined from one fight, but some rabbits do hold a grudge. I’d recommend taking it slower and moving Penny into another room. Bonding in Gianni’s area will be difficult because it’s his territory and now there’s this rabbit that has just come along. When your bonding, do it in a neutral territory, where neither of their smells have been in and neither of them have claimed that room.

I’d love to see some pictures of your bunnies!

omg yay I’m happy to hear that- just as a follow up question; I don’t do any bonding like events in the room they both live in. I do the bonding in a separate room; so do you think it was more of a territory issue of ‘why you in my space it’s not our date time?’

also here are some pics from when they were actually being nice on a date!

Attachments

• A4A612A5-15A9-48D5-BC2B-A42700677AC3.jpeg
    A4A612A5-15A9-48D5-BC2B-A42700677AC3.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 92E2E4C6-B7CE-4450-BC33-29AEA41353A9.jpeg
    92E2E4C6-B7CE-4450-BC33-29AEA41353A9.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 8
omg yay I’m happy to hear that- just as a follow up question; I don’t do any bonding like events in the room they both live in. I do the bonding in a separate room; so do you think it was more of a territory issue of ‘why you in my space it’s not our date time?’

also here are some pics from when they were actually being nice on a date!

It is likely, as rabbits can be very territorial. But the others might have a different idea.
And by the way, they are so cute!!! :p

It is likely, as rabbits can be very territorial. But the others might have a different idea.
And by the way, they are so cute!!! :p

thank you for your help! I’ll either try to separate room; or I’m thinking of trying to descent the current room and try a day of heavy bonding time.

thank you for your help! I’ll either try to separate room; or I’m thinking of trying to descent the current room and try a day of heavy bonding time.
Do both, be in a separate room but have carefully supervised bonding time! You got this;)

Latest posts

Back