Prayers requested for Zeus - dental/abscess surgery on Wednesday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our way out the door now - Art is coming with me even though he works midnight shift and just got home.

Thor had one in the same place as Zeus too along with the many others :(

I am certainly thinking about the both of you this morning. I am sure you will update us throughout the day.

WE LOVE YOU ZEUSSEY!!!:pray:

Peg, just stopped by to see if Zeus is out of surgery yet. I have been praying for you both. I also pray that God guides the hands of the vet for a successful outcome. :pray:

This is a dumb question, but where do abscesses originate? Is it a bacteria that they pick up from other infected buns? Is it something that is ubiquitous in the environment that just needs an opportunity? Is there anything that can be done to prevent them? :?

Sending lots of love and positive thoughts for the whole family. :hugsquish:

From Peg-- Zeus made it through surgery BUT it was not a tooth problem....it was an infection of the lymph node and he "could" have more throughout his body.

:pray::pray::pray: Oh, I hope this isn't the case.. poor poor little Zues-stay strong little bud!

Ali- Thanks for letting us know.

Peg- I'm glad Art was able to go with you today since it is so stressful. Please remember to take care of yourself too so Zeus will have a strong mommy when he gets home.

Zeus- You have to get better because your mommy loves you and she has had too much sadness lately. Be strong, God loves you but He has to wait, your work here is not done.

:pray:

I'm home and I want to thank all of you for your prayers and support.

First of all - while Zeus had an abscessed tooth a few weeks ago - it appears that it DID go away.

However - an abscess DID develop in his lymph node (if I understood correctly). Fortunately - because I did not mess with it and break it open myself - she was able to open it up and flush it all out and pack it with gauze and stuff and suture it shut.

He will go back on Friday to have his sutures taken out - which is something we COULD do and we could even take out the gauze, etc.

But we decided that we prefer for them to do that so that they can look inside and see if it needs it repacked, etc. (If they don't have to repack it or put him under, etc - there will be no charge for that visit).

They did not culture it (we talked about it but because it can be so expensive to culture it - we decided to wait and culture it IF it came back a second time or another abscess developed).

The vet's concern is that he ***COULD*** have more abscesses somewhere inside his body - but she doesn't feel like he does at this time. Part of the reason she believes that is when they flushed out the abscess - it did not go up or down into another tube like thing....it just stayed in that pus pocket/capsule.

He is on baytril for the next week - we get to crush it up and put it in baby food or something to give it to him.

Right now he's not feeling too good - or at least he wasn't when we picked him up. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.

He can have adult aspirin (1 per day - buffered aspirin) for pain - they felt like that would be as good as the bupermane or whatever it is that they give and she didn't really want him on metacam - not sure why (or are they the same thing??).

Anyway - we're home...I will update tonight after he's been home for a bit.

I forgot to say this - I shared it with Art but was scared to share it with the vet.

When Zeus still had his tooth abscess - I tried to mess with it a bit and I thought I felt it break inside but I wasn't sure.

It never seemed to feel hard again and I figured it was my imagination.

I'm wondering now though if it DID break inside and that is what has caused this abscess to show up later. I really and truly suspect that it is.

The lesson I've learned from this - is I will not try to mess with abscesses again unless they have opened on their own.....and preferably go to the vet ASAP if I can afford it at the time.

I feel like Zeus is paying the price for what I did trying to mess with it earlier.

Ok - so I'm paying the price to - to the tune of almost $300 before gas expenses for both trips...

AND...Zeus gained some weight back between the two appointments - so that is good.

Now for a nap.

I think that what you are saying is that they could not get any pus out of the abscess ; sometimes they actually scrape the wall of the capsule ?

Iam surprised that he isn't on Penicillin injections instead of baytril ?

UPDATE: Zeus is quite alert today and is eating and drinking. I'm about to give him his baytril - so I need to be prepared for his version of kick-boxing.

He goes to the vet tomorrow to have the sutures and packing in the surgery area removed - and then we'll see if he needs more packing and sutures or if we can let it heal.

Please be praying he won't need more and that this can now heal on its own (along with his antibiotics).

Thanks!

angieluv wrote:
I think that what you are saying is that they could not get any pus out of the abscess ; sometimes they actually scrape the wall of the capsule ?

Iam surprised that he isn't on Penicillin injections instead of baytril ?
It is my understanding that they got out all the pus and then scraped the capsule and then flushed it (several times) to make sure that it was all out. In the flushing of it - they saw that there were no additional "fingers" for the abscess...that it was all self-contained.

I'd had him on Pen G infections along with his bactrim - the Pen G wasn't touching it....

Latest posts

Back