Prayers requested for Zeus - dental/abscess surgery on Wednesday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I thought about taking a picture and sharing it - but I'm not sure if I am up to it.

Zeus had an abscessed tooth several weeks ago. The vet wanted to put him on antibiotics for 2 weeks before doing surgery - just to keep the infection from going into his blood stream (or at least have something there in case it did? Not sure exactly).

Then the abscess appeared to go away.....and when Zeus' meds were gone - I figured we were still ok.

The abscess however came back - in full force. I called for a renewal of his prescription last week and scheduled his surgery for Wednesday.

The abscess is continually growing. I'm NOT going to lance it or drain it - I've always been told to wait until they're ready to burst on their own - otherwise you risk spreading the infection.

Right now the abscess feels like two abscesses that are attached to each other....and its probably the size of an egg.

He's still eating and drinking pretty good and fights when he gets his meds.

I'd appreciate prayers though that he does ok until Wednesday and that when the vet does the surgery she can get the abscess removed intact.

We lost Jar Jar a few weeks ago to something like what Thor was going through and the vet had him on meds, etc. but I think his case had been made worse cause I tried to lance them instead of leaving them intact for the vet to get. :( By the time she saw him and got him on meds...she was worried that he might have an abscess too close to the jugular vein...unfortunately he didn't do well on the meds and passed away before the surgery could be done.

So while abscesses don't normally bother me ..... I'm now very paranoid.

With the results of Thor that I IMed you, this worries me Peg. I am worried it may be related.

I am praying for Zeus and I will have my family pray for him as well. :pray:

Must_Love_Pets wrote:
With the results of Thor that I IMed you, this worries me Peg. I am worried it may be related.

I am praying for Zeus and I will have my family pray for him as well. :pray:
In Zeus' case - I'm not sure if it is related - but I'm darn well sure that Jar Jar's was related to what Thor had- I looked up stuff and saw that penicillin would've been ineffective.

I'm kicking myself because in Jar Jar's case I tried to lance stuff and that only made things worse because one of the abscesses burst inside instead of outward...and I am sure that is how it spread.

Anyway - I will update folks on Wednesday - right now I'm keeping an eye on the abscess and praying it doesn't get so big that it gets near the juggular - that is my biggest fear.

Isn't it going to be necessary to remove the abscessed tooth to resolve the source of the infection

it seems as if the abscess would return immediately if the source of the infection is not addressed
i am exhausted and maybe I missed something in this thread :confused2:
sending lots of postive vibes you way :hug:

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Zeus.

I will say many prayers for him and you.:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Hugs:hug2::hug2::hug2:

Susan:sickbunny:

Ooh, I can finally post here without crashing (knock wood!), how is Zeus doing?

Sorry I don't have any advice on this. I honestly don't know what to do. :(

sas :pray:

Must_Love_Pets wrote:
How is Zeus doing? I am praying for tomorrow to be a successful sx.

:pray:
Zeus is fine - I'm the nervous wreck.

He's still eating and drinking quite well so that is good but I do think he might have lost a bit of weight since he saw the vet several weeks ago.

My biggest concern is that the abscess is removed in one piece so to speak - that it doesn't spread into the blood. That is why he's been on meds for the last 10 days - although I suspect he's not on the right meds as the abscess just keeps getting bigger.

I didn't check it tonight as I didn't really want to mess with it - but when I felt it last night it felt like two side-by-side abscesses and it was fairly hard.

I am going to ask the vet to send him home with antibiotics as a precaution of keeping the infection from spreading.

I'm so scared - I was really doing fine till Thor went through all those abscesses and it reminded me of Jar Jar and even though Jar Jar and Zeus were never in the same room (other than the trip to the vet -and they were in separate carries for the trip) - I am still quite paranoid.

Normally when my rabbits have had abscesses before it wasn't a big deal - some Pen G shots and they were good to go and after a few days the abscesses would be gone.

Now - I am petrified.

Zeus is my bedroom bunny - I love him dearly. He's 6 years old and I hate to see him go through this surgery - but I know it is for the best.

I am going to try to get a picture of him tonight I think.

In my defense - as soon as the abscess looked like it was coming back (about the size of a pea or smaller) - I called and got a refill on Zeus' meds and scheduled his surgery. The vet preferred to have him on meds for a few days before the surgery.

Up until last Wednesday it was not nearly as big - may pea sized. However, every day its been getting bigger - here it is now:

[align=center]
IMG_0373.jpg

[align=left]Oh - and I have been giving him something for the pain too....

[/align][/align]

Latest posts

Back