Prayers for harlie please...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I caught one of my girls really hunched overtonight and she felt very hot to the touch...she had stuff stuck to herrear (like she'd had loose stools or something earlier).

Its looking like its stasis.....but I think we may have caught itearly. She was really hot to the touch - but we think shewasa bit dehydrated....and between the bath to clean her rear(not a full bath - just setting her rear in some water) and taking 25cc of pedialyte .... she has started passing some poops. Ohyeah - and I gave her two of the eye droppers of simethicone.

I'd still feel better if y'all would be sending good thoughts andprayers her way. Her poops are tiny and she is obviouslyuncomfortable. She has now taken a total of:

25 cc of pedialyte (giving her more in about 20 minutes)

11 cc of creamed spinach baby food

2 sprigs of parsley

She's alert - just acting like she's in pain so I'm about to give her a bit of pain killer too...

Peg

Poor Harlie! I hope she gets passed this! It'sgood that she's still pooping! Keep those poops up girl!Best wishes andgood thoughts coming your way! Come on girl, you can get out of this!It sounds like you did catch it early. :)

Give her a cuddle for me!:kiss:Come on girl you can get through this!

awww,there is nothing more heart wrenching thanseeing pain in a sweet little bunny,with a lot of love im sure Harliewill be fine,but i will be thinking about your little girl :pray:

cheryl

Harlie just took 1/4 cup (yes - CUP) of smashedupsweet potatoesmixed with fluid from the can andOxbow Critical Care. She also took 1/8 cup (syringed) ofPedialyte mixed with a tiny bit of baby aspirin.

Oh yeah - and a bit of the baby gas medcine...

She is still having a hard time having poops - but she's very alert andvery definite when she wants to stop eating! I figure ifshe's willing to eat from the baby spoon (it was too thick to getthrough the syringe)...she's doing pretty good.

I'm hoping to go through my files and share her picture in this thread later today...so y'all can see my little sweetie!

Peg

Oooh, hope she's okay!

Don'tover do it on the feeding, you don't have to sustainher, just keep her gut moving. Could just be anupset tummy and/or a bout of gas.Also, if she hadpoopy butt at one point, that could bemore of an indicationof too many calories/carbs setting off animbalance.I would think gas meds,liquids,tummy rubsand keeping her moving are more importantthana lot of solid food at this stage.

Sorry I'm seeing this so late. I'll be watching for updates!

Poop vibes for Harlie! o o o o o o

sas :)and pipp :bunnydance: (and dill, darry, radar and sherry the new foster bun)

Pipp wrote:
I would think gasmeds,liquids, tummy rubsand keeping her moving aremore important thana lot of solid food at this stage.

Sorry I'm seeing this so late. I'll be watching for updates!
Well - she was THRILLED to eat the solid food and I stopped when she turned her head away as if she didn't want it.

I really feel like there are times when rabbits know what they can and can't handle.

I was really encouraged by a top lionhead breeder (who has bred foryears and years) to get her on the solids today since she was havingsome poops - we both felt like she needed "something" in her system...

I'm about to give her more food and fluids again. I'm onlyreally treating her every 6-8 hours because I don't want to stress herout too much ~ because at least she is moving something.

It looks like she's pulled her teeth though - I got to looking at themand we're going to need to trim them. She's an older doe - Iknow its NOT maloclussion....but I think she didn't eat for 2 days orso and with kits in her cage - I thought she was eating too -especially since I saw her attack the food...

Well - off to treat her!

Peg

Glad she's eating! Although, I've heard sweet potatoe takes away nutreients from her body?

http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html

Dangerous, contain compounds that destroy nutrients: do not feed

• Sweet potato
  • Cassava
  • Bamboo shoots
  • Maize
  • Lima beans
  • Millet
  • Bracken fern
  • Tea leaves
  • Coffee plants
Hope she gets back to her normal self soon!

Peg

Good luck with her. She must be a big rabbit as that is a lot ofcc's! I only give my Netherland Dwarf at the most 2cc at atime although she gets 2cc's of pineapple juice, 2cc of pumpkin and 1cc of Nutrical as well as benebac. I just can't imagine thatshe is one of your lionheads.. Any way my healing thoughtsare with you andher! Tatum

Well - she is still barely pooping andpeeing...but she ate almost a whole jar of baby food today - it hadabout 2 tsp. of critical care in it. I do have pumpkin butshe didn't seem to like it - so I used green beans (babyfood). She took several ccs of pedialyte too.

She is hunched over a lot and she gives little tiny poops.But she is very alert and when I pick her up she sort of snuggles intomy arms and rests and knows she's going to get medicine and food andstuff.

Today was probably close to the most she's eaten...and this time Istopped a bit before she did because I wanted her system to have sometime to process what she'd had.

She was about 5 lbs or 4.5 pounds - she's a BIG girl....but I bet she's dropped 1/4 or so of her weight....

Peg

An UPDATE - a happy one even!

First of all - pictures from Harlie back in January - she's VERY shy..

I didn't realize just how much I loved her till all this started.

I've been really discouraged - but a few minutes ago, Harlie startedplaying a game that we have where she makes eye contact w/ me - andthen looks away.....so I look away and then peek back to see her tryingto make eye contact with me....basically - flirting!

THEN - she started picking up her piece of fabric and almost tossing it- then she would put her feet on it and bundle it all up...

NOW - she's eating hay!!! I gave her some of Barbi Brown'sspecialty hays - first the alfalfa/rye mixture and then a bit of theoat mixture.

As I type this right now - she's all hunched up with a cramp...but assoon as she's done - she'll go back to eating the hay 'cause that iswhat she's been doing for the last half hour.....

I'm going to bundle her up in a bit and have her nap w/ me - we'll beall warm and tucked under the covers and I'll have a towel under her incase she wets the bed.

BUT - it looks like she's taking a turn for the better!!!!!

:yes:

:welcometo my Harlie girl! I thought earlier today we had a good chance of losing her....

Peg

Latest posts

Back