Potty training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently posted regarding aggressive bunny, however this is a separate question and I thought I would create a new thread. I am assuming I am posting the correct category if not let me know I can change.

My girl has been cage training like a dream and even when free roaming goes back touse litter tray intermittently. However, what behaviors should I look for whena rabbit is about to pee. I noticed last night that she was breathing fast before she peed. I mistook it that she was hot, she was cuddling and begging for pellets and was just laying down on the couch. So I honestly though she was too warm next to me.

What recommendations for pee training? She is also spayed and I am expanding her living space to the living room.

If she isn't consistently returning to pee in the litter box, then she has been given too much space too soon. She should never, ever pee outside the litter box. If she does, then her roaming space needs to be smaller.

She shouldn't be allowed out of her cage to roam until she is 100% with urine in the litter box (stray poos are ok). Once she's been 100% with urine, then she can be allowed out but only in a very limited area. If she remains 100% in the new limited area for a week, then the space can be gradually increased. If she ever pees outside the box, then she goes back to the prior smaller space.

How do you go about getting a rabbit to pee in the liter box. She does really well in her cage. No pee but we will see how she dies for the rest of the week. She has only been cage training this week and the first three days have gone really well in the cage lol. Not out of the cage last night. She is in the largest size doggy crate right now and her xpen is on its way.

Thank you

Say she has an accident where do I go from there to get her to understand pee goes in the litter box?

Soak it up with a paper towel and put the urine it into the litter box.

And white vinegar where she peed (I use 5% but you can use 10%) and let in sit 3 minutes, then wipe it up.

Rabbit tend to pee where they peed before, if they can still smell their urine, they’ll pee there.

Is she peeing on soft things like fleece. (Rabbits like to pee on soft things)
Remove all soft things until she’s 100% urine litter trained.

Last edited:
Usually if I have my rabbits somewhere where they can't get to their litter box and they need to pee, they will start digging at my clothes or at the ground where they are at. Though this isn't always an indicator of needing to pee, sometimes it's just to get your attention or because they like to dig on fabric. They may also get unusually squirmy or wiggly if they are needing to get back to their litter box.

Soak it up with a paper towel and put the urine it into the litter box.

And white vinegar where she peed (I use 5% but you can use 10%) and let in sit 3 minutes, then wipe it up.

Rabbit tend to pee where they peed before, if they can still smell their urine, they’ll pee there.

Is she peeing on soft things like fleece. (Rabbits like to pee on soft things)
Remove all soft things until she’s 100% urine litter trained.

She has always peed on fleece and blankets. I replaced her blankets in the dog crate with carpets and she did so much better. I hope I soaked up all the pee.. I will clean it again to make sure and go back over it with vinegar. She was notorious for going back to the same spot. I hope she doesn't go back to the couch. Maybe if I put a runner carpet on the couch it might help?

Usually if I have my rabbits somewhere where they can't get to their litter box and they need to pee, they will start digging at my clothes or at the ground where they are at. Though this isn't always an indicator of needing to pee, sometimes it's just to get your attention or because they like to dig on fabric. They may also get unusually squirmy or wiggly if they are needing to get back to their litter box.
Thank you, that helped. She did get squirmy and was crawling all over me very ancy like before she peed.

Latest posts

Back