Potential show bunny?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

sumashollands

Reaction score
I have a 4 week old Holland lop buck out of a show quality buck and a not so show quality VM doe. He is a tort, and has a really nice head and crown so far, ( I know it’s a bit early to be looking for show standards but it’s kind of fun) he is so far following his fathers qualities. That’s when I noticed the blue/gray eyes. 🤪 so I know VM can’t be shown, but VC can, so maybe he’s a VC? No white markings.

Attachments

SableSteel

Reaction score
That's not a show quality rabbit. The color is harlequin, not tort, which is not a showable color. That spot behind his eye is not a natural spot for tort shading to show up, so it makes him just a very light harlequin.
I don't see any vienna marks on him; I would still mark it down on his pedigree that he is a potentially vienna carrier, and warn any future buyers (of him or any rabbits from that line) of the fact.

HollyNFriends

Reaction score
I was just curious and looked up Holland Lop colors. He seems like a tort to me. This site even shows that you can sometimes see the darker blue or black undercoat where the hair is shorter, like the sides of the face, which is what the darker markings around the eye could be from. Harlequin, on the other hand, has distinct black stripes/markings throughout, which this bunny does not have.

SableSteel

Reaction score
Blues can carry harlequin, so it would have come from the mother. Harlequin is on the same locus as tort, so both parents don't need to carry harlequin if one carries harlequin and one has tort.
This rabbit is definitely a harlequin. The range of markings in a harlequin can vary drastically. With harlequins, the 'orange' is more clear than it is with a tort, and it lacks the tort shading (they usually just have the minimal shading/smut that you would see on an orange). The markings aren't in the normal place for a tort (especially given that the rabbit has no other tort shading) and on harlequins the colors are more clearly black vs orange. With torts the shading gives a sort of dark brown color as a smooth transition to black, here there are just black hairs mixed in with the orange.
I've produced a harlequin with similar markings, quite a few years ago.

Attachments

HollyNFriends

Reaction score
Interesting - pretty fun to learn about! Looking closer at the pics in the link, I now see what you mean about the orange shade. We pulled up pics of our old Holland Lop and discovered she was chestnut - which is kind of funny because she was best friends with our dog, who's name is Chestnut. We used to make up stories about The Adventures of Holly and Chestnut. :)

Latest posts