Potential Dental Problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartlea

Reaction score
Hi, All!

I have a one year old Holland lop, and I think he MAY be having some dental issues. He, by nature is a somewhat picky bun, but in the recent months, I seemed to have found (or thought I found) hay that he really liked. He has really upped his hay eating...but it has decreased again here in the recent handful of days. It is a newer box of hay, so I ordered more, (coming tomorrow) to see if maybe this corrects his eating. Maybe it is a "bad" batch?
However, I have noticed with him that he WANTS to eat hay...he is interested when I bring him some, he picks around for a while, and seems to be eating the smaller strands. I also am seeing where he will snap pieces of hay in half, maybe take a couple of bites, and then drop the rest out of his mouth...and repeat. Normally, I will see him eat the whole long strands of hay. I have reintroduced orchard hay to him, and he is eating some of it.....it is softer and smaller than his current timothy hay. He is still loving other things, like his pellets. I know these things are easier to chew though.
Back in August, when he went to see one of his vets, she noted that while his teeth overall looked really good, she did notice a couple of molar spurs in the back, however, at that time she did not think they looked too concerning (she said she had seen much worse in her practice). I am wondering if maybe they have gotten worse?
His poops have overall been a bit smaller, because he isn't eating as much. Also, his water consumption has been down too some....which definitely correlates with less hay eating.
Ugh.....Him and I have been to the vet too many times here in the recent months...I'm not thrilled at the idea of having to return, yet again... but if needed, I obviously will. I'm hoping I can hold out on a vet visit until at least Thursday, so I can see if the new hay helps, and I work through Thursday. So I am not around as much to tend to him, if needed.
Thank you!

I would say bring him in. It does sound like they have gotten worse and need to be filed down.
I went ahead and took him in yesterday! My vet said that he definitely had molar spurs in the back of his mouth that had caused some abrasions on the insides of his cheeks. She filed them down and he got to come home last night! I can get him to eat canned pumpkin, hard pellets, some lettuce, etc. He does try to eat a little bit of hay but not too much. I’m hoping that within the next 24 hours or so he will increase that. He has been drinking a little bit of water too. He has pain meds and my vet says to expect him to be on them for a few days!

Latest posts

Back